Panasonic RP82: Service Remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Feb 14, 2003.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Are consumers allowed to purchase a service remote?
    They are "Flashing the ROM" on my RP82 because it has gotten messed up from some DVDs my parents hvae been renting.

I assume they are just using a service remote and a CDR or some sorts to flash the ROM. Am I able to do this myself? I'm afraid my parents are going to get the ROM messed up again.

THanks,
    ELmo[​IMG]

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wonder how the firware on your player could get messed up playing a DVD. A regular DVD wouldn't be able to do anything to change or mess up the firmware. Or is the firmware just being upgraded to handle compatability issues?

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

They are flashing the ROM they told me. Maybe that includes a firmware upgrade?

These aren't regular DVDs I'm sure. SOme are probably copied DVDs with regionless, region-all, or a differnt region than region 1. I'm guessing it's because my parents rent DVDs from this indian shop downtown, and they aren't all "region 1, brand spanking new" stuff you find from best buy or the local store. I buy all my DVDs from amazon/best buy, and I never rent a thing..I think it messed up from all their renting.

I hope they may hav ea firmware upgrade, because I bet this will happen again.

I have heard of other DVD players getting firmware upgraded via a burnt CDR and few clicks on a remote. So that's why
    I was worried that the DVD inside it made it change regions on me (won't read region 1 anymore, and anything else says "NO INITIALIZED!" on it).

Thanks for the reply,
    ELmO