What's new

Panasonic RP82 = CD audio and Non Progressive Video quality? (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I have a 32" 16:9 Television, with no component inputs and/or progressive support. I use S-Video to connect from the player to the television via the receiver (Denon AVR5800). Since Progressive is a non issue for me right now, my question is, how would you rate the Panasonic RP82 in terms of picture quality when using only the Interlaced S-Video output? What other players would you compare it with? I have in the past owned the Sony S7000 and the S7700, both of which I found to have a very satisfying (read great) picture. Also how would you rate the RP82 in terms of sound quality for DVD movies using the coaxial output and the audio CD sound quality using the optical output. By the way I use the coaxial output to connect to the receiver for DVD Movies/Music and I use the optical output to connect to the receiver for Audio CDs. This way I just switch the receiver to the CD input for Audio CDs and switch to the DVD input for DVDs, this allows me to have different settings (Surround paramaters, tonal settings etc.) for Audio CD and DVDs without having to change them each time. Please restrict your comments to Audio CD quality and Interlaced DVD output, although comments related to the DVD Audio quality will also be welcome.

Thanks,
Sanjay

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Sanjay,
I haven't listened to any CD's on the RP82 yet, but I do have it hooked up to a Samsung widescreen set that does 480p and won't allow the Progressive Scan to be done through the DVD Player. All I can say is that, using the interlaced output, this DVD Player absolutely destroys the picture on my other DVD Players(a Sony and a Pioneer). In fact, when I first played a DVD on this system I thought to myself "Hot damn, the Samsung does allow Progressive Scan after all!" because the picture was so outstanding. And I've seen posts on other forums in which the poster had a hard time being able to see a huge difference between the Interlaced and the Progressive Scan on this player because the Interlaced was so good.

I would seriously consider this player even if you don't have Progressive Scan capacity, it's fantastic!

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Sanjay,

I have the panny rp82s, and I think the CD quality is about a 7 out of 10. I love using hte interface to playback MP3's or regular audio cd's But the sound, while fairly clear, is almost too clean as it is lifeless almost. There is no real emotion behind the cd playing. Now this is partially due to my speakers, they are decent but not high end. And I have not yet listened to DVD-A on the panny. But so far I would rate the rp82 cd playeback as 'acceptable'. I hope this helps.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am one of those people who think the RP82 interlaced looks as good as the progressive, but that's using the component outputs. It looks EXCELLENT!! Now, re the S-video, we should remember that the video quality difference between S and component is not nearly so huge as the difference between S and composite. So I'd still say go for it for the S interlaced. For audio software reproduction, the 7/10 given above seems about right, it's nothing special, but neither is it poor.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
But the sound, while fairly clear, is almost too clean as it is lifeless almost. There is no real emotion behind the cd playing.
That sounds about right! Personally, I think that means it is an accurate-sounding player. :)
Reviews of different CD players (from same magazine for consistantsy):
Technics/Panasonic (analytical-sounding, as usual: "....a bit too shiny....." (from Hi-FiChoice) I own their SL-PG4 model):
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm
Cambridge Audio (British brand. Has typical warm sound Brits love): http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm
Sony (sort of analytical sounding):
Wadia (American brand; @$8000. "......a slightly 'shiny' quality......." (from Hi-FiChoice)):
LJ

Sanjiva

Agent
Hey Sanjay,

I am impresed with your audio set up. Just wanted to know where did you buy the paradigms? Do you get them in India or you bought it outside?

Any idea on pricing if you do get them in India?

Regards,

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Hi Sanjiva,

Thanks. Yes I did get my Paradigms in India, but there are no dealers here for the same. I got mine from a grey market dealer who got them for me on special order. I paid One lakh Thirty thousand Rupees(approx US $2650) for the Reference 100s per pair, and Eighty thousand Rupees (approx US $1650) for the Servo 15. As for the Center speaker, that I got from the US. I think I paid US $400 for them.

Regards,
Sanjay

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I have a Harman Kardon DVD 5 currently and am contemplating whether or not to upgrade to the Panny, but I'm concerned about the audio quality difference as that is important to me. The DVD 5 is not progressive scan, and the interlaced video quality is only average, but I don't have a progressive scan capable television yet. If what you guys say is right (about the superior interlace quality), than perhaps it's still worth the upgrade. I do believe, however the sound quality on the Kardon is top-notch, especially for audio CD's, although one negative is that it cannot play copied CD's (or even VCDs for that matter). What do you guys suggest I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks