What's new

Panasonic RP82 alternatives? (1 Viewer)

John*S

Agent
I just bought an RP82 because of its performance capabilities and bang for the buck. It replaces an old low end Toshiba non-progressive scan player.

The picture of the RP82 is excellent on my Sony 61HS10 RPTV, but ya know, the interlaced Tosh wasn't a heckava lot worse.

While overall I like the RP82, I am disappointed Panasonic didn't see fit to include basic screensaver functionality in this unit. On the old Toshiba, if the DVD was not playing, or even if it sat on the main menu too long, it would change to a bouncing DVD logo. The Panasonic does none of this. In the stopped mode, it at least turns off after a few minutes, but at the DVD main menu, it would stay there forever.

Are there any other alternatives that might offer the same picture and deinterlacing qualities, plus better features? I have a few days left to return the unit.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'm in the same boat.

I need a player with RP82 like picture (no chroma bug thanks) but with a BASIC SIMPLE screensaver that will prevent burn-in on my 50" plasma!

Panasonic replied with a bullshit "we removed it and installed the auto power off" which simply doesn't work for discs with a menu loop.

anyone?

Yamaha players?

Would an Onkyo qualify as CB free?

Sebastien David

Second Unit
Denon DVD-1600??
I believe it has a screensaver, not 100% sure though.
And sorry for pushing this unit so much, but it is really good and offers great price/performance, in my opinion on par with a RP-82.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
or a zoom feature...

i didn't even know about the time remaining function missing from the 1600... that really sucks, I mean, it's not like it's very hard to implement either... i guess they have too many things to think about when designing a DVD player, and they have to forget some details.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I don't need zoom.
I need time remaining, or like a Philips, running time next to elapsed time.

How much?
Trouble is there isn't a real Denon dealer in Fiji.

Is there one in Australia or NZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks