What's new

Panasonic RP62 vs. RP82: Exact Same Picture Quality? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I've been scouring the net for information on these two Panasonic DVD Player models (Link Removed) and (Link Removed) and I can't see anything that shows that the picture quality of these two players is any different.
I've seen some people say that the RP82 with have better picture quality, probably because of the increased price tag, but are there any facts behind this, or just a guess?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I don't have both players (only the RP82), but I can tell you that the 82 has a better MPEG decoder (the same one that's in the RP91) and that CCS is either turned off or way down (almost no flicker in saturated colors).

While I would expect that translates to a better picture than the 62, I can't say for sure. I do know it's better than the RP56 I used to own.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Mike, just curious, where do you see that the RP82 has a better MPEG decoder over the RP62?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Sorry, I forgot that this discussion hadn't come up on this forum before. On avsforum, a couple of people opened up an RP-62 and an RP-82. They found different MPEG decoders in each. A check of the RP-91 parts list on the Panasonic website revealed that the MPEG decoder in the RP-82 was the same one as in the 91, which is known to be Panasonic's top-of-the-line MPEG decoder at this time.
BTW, your Jay and Silent Bob signature is great. :D

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have a clue about the changers, CP-67 and CP-72? I could dream that because it has DVD-A capability, the CP-72 would more closely resemble the RP-82 and have the better MPEG decoder as well, but that is only a dream....

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I don't know for sure, but I'd say that's a logical dream. Unless Matsushita has just developed a new lower cost chip than the one in the 82 and 91, it's likely that the current one will be used in the 72 since they just have to pull it out of the parts bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks