Panasonic RP62 vs. RP 56

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave HW, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

So about 6 months ago I purchased a new RP62 with Faroudja chip. Its been a great player for me. About 2 months ago I got an ebay deal for a Denon CD changer that came with an RP56. The RP 56 has sat in its box and I haven't decided whether to use it for a lesser TV or not.

However, recently I have seen a couple of comments that indicated that the RP 56 might be a better player than the 62. Is there any truth to that and if so, why would it be better? The 62 has a sleeker look, but if the 56 is a better player for my Mits, I'd bring it out of its box. Opinions?

Dave

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I've seen lots of reports from RP62 owners that something in the motor circuit fails after about 8 months of use, so its not very reliable. You might want to sell it prior to it failing, so you don't lose out.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

If you take a look at this link to the Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI, they gave the 56 a total score of 87 and the 62 a score of 75. You can read the review for more info. The 62 isn't a bad player by any means, the secrets guys just found it to not do some things as well as the 56 did. Still a great player at a great price. As long as your 62 has the faroudja chip and not panasonic's all in one deinterlacing/MPEG decoder chip that the later models did.