Panasonic RP56 vs 91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimP, Nov 6, 2001.

1. JimP

JimP Auditioning

I'm looking to replace my aging A110 Panasonic. It has served me well, and continues to, but I have a HD ready TV and would like to make the step to progressive scan. DVD-Audio, MP3, CDR/W, DVD-RAM, those things don't really interest me, but they seem to be standard on the high end players that have the best progressive scan specs.
    I've been holding out to splurge on the RP91, since that seems to be the best of the current batch of progressive scan players. But at $700 (Yes, I know you can get it as low as $500, but I'm leery of places I've never bought from before...) I'm hard pressed to justify it right now. PLUS, there are progressive scan players that are in the $200-$300 range.
    Does anyone have any experience with the RP56. I'm thinking that since it comes from the same manufacturer as the RP91, maybe it's less feature ridden, but has some decent (if not "as good") progressive scan capability? Wishful thinking? Probably, but it can't hurt to ask.
    Thanks,
    ...Jim

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jim: in your case, dependent on your HDTV, you might prefer the RP91 for its' ability to display/size a non-anamorphic image on your TV. Which HDTV do you have?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I think you have your answer in your question.
    "DVD-Audio, MP3, CDR/W, DVD-RAM, those things don't really interest me"
    The RP91 does have more features and better audio/video processing power, but the RP56 uses a slightly better (debatable) de-interlacing chip. If you don't need the features, don't pay for them.
    J

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jared,
    What exactly is debatable about the superiority of the Sage/Faroudja chipset over the Genesis chipset?
    I'd really like to read your opinion on this one.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

6. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Jim:
    I have also heard that the RP-91 has a zoom feature that will allow you to display the DVD movie on the entire screen of a 16x9 screen and there will be no bars top or bottom and no distortion on the picture, but I am not positive how this works.
    Someone please come in and tell me I am speaking the truth, because I just bought the RP-91K from ecost for $447.
    Thanks! and I hope this helps!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

7. JimP

JimP Auditioning

John Morris,
    My TV is a 55" Mitsu, 55809.
    Yes, non-anamorphic material is a bummer, but I don't have too much of it (plus there is the ZOOM mode in the TV if I have to deal with it).
    The 56 and 91 have different chipsets?
    I also don't need: built in DD and DTS decoders, I have an external decoder. I can't remember if the '91 has those or not.
    All I really am looking for is the best Progressive Scan DVD movie player that is out there.
    I'll have to look up ecost and etronics, but I just get nervous buying from etailers that I don't know well...
    Thanks all, please keep the advice coming!
    ...Jim

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jim,
    The best out there? Neither the RP-56 or the RP-91 are
    in that category, but they are both darned good [​IMG]
    The RP-56 uses the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chipset. The RP-91 uses a Genesis deinterlacing chipset.
    Interestingly enough, Genesis and Sage/Faroudja just merged, so it should be interesting times in the market.
    I believe, but could be mistaken, that both the RP-56 and the RP-91 use the same MPEG decoder, which is chroma bug free.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

quote: I have also heard that the RP-91 has a zoom feature that will allow you to display the DVD movie on the entire screen of a 16x9 screen and there will be no bars top or bottom and no distortion on the picture, but I am not positive how this works. [/quote]
    Not exactly. The RP-91 has a built-in scaler/zoom function that will allow you to zoom/scale non-anamorphic widescreen transfers. If the aspect ratio of the film is 1.85:1, there will be no black bars (assuming overscan on the TV). However, if the aspect ratio is wider, such as 2.35:1, there will still be small black bars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the zoom feature functions at all with anamorphic material (I've never wanted to try).
    Basically, the zoom/scaling feature allows you to display non-anamorphic widescreen transfers with a quality similar to anamorphic transfers. It's still not as good as an anamorphic transfer, but it will look much better than using the zoom-only function on most 16x9 HD-ready televisions.
    Another benefit of the zoom/scaling feature with a 16x9 TV is for viewing DVD supplemental material. The RP-91 will automatically switch between the proper aspect ratio controls for anamorphic, full frame and non-anamorphic material. Since the supplements on most DVDs alternate between these three formats, you can leave your 16x9 TV in FULL mode and let the RP-91 handle the aspect ratio control instead of constantly switching the viewing mode on your TV. Of course, if your 16x9 TV "locks into FULL mode" when presented a 480p signal, you cannot even view this material properly using the TV viewing modes without switching the DVD player from progressive to interlaced output.
    BTW, I paid about $440 for my RP-91 in the summer. I'm using it with a Toshiba 56H80 HD-ready TV.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 06, 2001 at 12:04 PM]

10. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

What exactly is debatable about the superiority of the Sage/Faroudja chipset over the Genesis chipset?
    I'd really like to read your opinion on this one.

John,
    I have no experience with the RP56, so I can't comment on it's de-interlacing ability. I purchased the PR91 for it's features, and had no reason to compare the two.
    I just remember hearing arguements about the picture quality of the two players, back in the day. Maybe it's not so debatable anymore. With my current knowledge, I would say that the Sage chip is better, but again I have no way to qualify this statement (personally, anyway).
    Jared

11. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

John,
    "What exactly is debatable about the superiority of the Sage/Faroudja chipset over the Genesis chipset?"
    While I'm not a critical reviewer of these machines, I do own a 91' and had an opportunity to watch it, along with a 56' and a Q50. A HTF friend, Michael Lee, graciously went through a comparison session with his FP, displayed on a 9' screen.
    We did see subtle occasional combing with the 91' but everyone present did find the picture sharper and clearer than the 56' & Q50. The Q50 looked nice but just didn't have the crispness of the 91'. The 56' had an annoying green tint to it (don't know if specific to the actual machine we viewed) and wasn't as sharp as the Q50. The source material was 'Man in the Iron Mask'.
    For me, the combing on the 91' is a non-event. Maybe I don't have a critical enough eye, but I haven't been able to find it distracting at all on my display (a calibrated elite-610).
    The lessor picture of the 56' & Q50 (plus lack of DVD-Audio) left me thinking the genesis chip was the way to
    go.