Panasonic RP56 opinions please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, May 15, 2002.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I was out and about looking at DVD players to replace my Pioneer 525. I was looking at the Toshiba SD3750($200US/$320CDN), Panasonic RP56($180US/$295CDN) and also on of the JVC in the same price range. What one would people suggest. I'm really interested in the Panasonic.

Kevin

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I've had my RP-56 for over a month now, and I'm really happy with it. The first DVD I tested was Moulin Rouge, and the progressive scan picture quality was stunning. Everything I've thrown at it so far looks great. There is talk about it being flimsy, and it is. But that hasn't detracted from it's performance.

It's miles better than the Sony 560D i banished to the bedroom.

3. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

RP56 = flicker bug. Also, it's been discontinued. If you can wait, the RP62 is coming out Real Soon Now.

4. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

Flicker bug? Haven't heard of that one - can you describe it? What disc tickles this bug noticably?

5. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I just bought the RP56 and I love it!! Got an awesome deal 129.99 so if it goes bad chuck it and get another one, But honestly its an very good player so far. I am anxious to see the new units and maybe upgrade?[​IMG]

6. StanT

StanT Auditioning

I've had one for 4-5 months now with no complaints whatsoever. Mine sees only 2-3 movies a week, but has never skipped a beat, even on material that sent my other admittedly cheap GE player into convulsions. I know some have reported having problems with the player, but that seems to apply to the majority of DVD players. Only time will tell.

7. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Hey Kevin. I've tried all three of the players you mention. The Toshiba was a nice unit, barely noticed the chroma bug issue, put out a nice picture and has a number of nice features & settings i.e. screen captures, multiple video control settings, zoom. I did have a few problems with it dropping audio on some dts tracks though, and that was enough of a quirk for me to return it.

The JVC had lots of nice features, great price, but I found the picture it produced on my Toshiba 56X81 was way too soft and lacked detail. Thus it went back.

The Panasonic is relatively featureless in my opinion. The picture was as good as the Toshiba or better and I've had no video or audio glitches of any kind with this player. My thrust in getting a progressive scan player was picture quality above all else and I feel this unit delivers. Had the Toshiba not done the dts drops I may have kept that one, many more features + a nice picture.

By the way $295CAN seems like a good price for the rp-56. It's replacement, the rp-62, is in the latest A&B Sound flyer here in Calgary for $344CAN.

If you've got a store like Future Shop around, try them all. Return the ones you don't like.

Good luck,

Steve

8. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

rp56 has flicker bug but nothing as bad as the CHROMA bug most other dvd players have.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

9. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

I see the flicker bug on occasion, but it doesn't really bother me because I like the CCS being on for watching animation. I'm willing to accept the trade-off. The 56 doesn't have the chroma bug--which is much more of problem to me than the flicker bug.

The 62 will be out in two weeks and then we'll know more.

10. Kwang Suh

The CCS being on has nothing to with the flicker bug. What the problem stems from is that CCS is configured incorrectly.

The chroma bug on some players is pretty damn hard to see. I have a hell of a time seeing it on my SD3750. The pulsating from the CCS misconfiguration is very obvious to me though.

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Well after all my research I picked up the RP56. I was able to get it for $295CDN($100 cheaper than most of the dealers in town have it for). I really think no matter which DVD player we get in the $200-300CDN range, problems will exist. So far I have watched only one movie(Oceans 11). I plan on calibrating my TV again with the new player before I give out my honest opinion. Though so far this player has been a big step over my trusty old Pioneer 525. Could some one point me in the direction of the flicker bug explanation. Thanks

Kevin

12. Kwang Suh

13. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

14. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Any actual pieces of software that show this? I read somewhere about the flicker in Shrek when he looks up at the ceiling while hanging on the chain in the Dragons castle. I couldn't see it on my TV(32" JVC). Also how do you figure out the firmware revision of this player?

Keivn

15. Kwang Suh

Enemy at the Gates shows it all over the place.

16. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator