What's new

Panasonic RP56 DOES use the Sage/Faroudja chipset! (1 Viewer)

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this response back from Panasonic:
Dear Mr. Dinan,
Thank you for your patience, we have received the information on the chip set used with the DVD-RP56. DVD-RP56 uses a Sage/Faroudja IC (part number FLI2200), to process the digital video and output a progressive Y Pb Pr component video. The following link has further information:
http://www.sageinc.com/pdf/FLI2200_Product_Brief.pdf
------------------
Link Removed

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Do you know if the RP56 does SACD milti channel, and does it exhibit the Chroma Bug?
Thanks,
Russ

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
While it might not seem so, there is a very logical reason the 56 doesn't use the same chip as the 91. Think of the 61 and 71.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, I'm well out of the loop. What's the advantage of this?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The RP-56 does not play SACD nor DVD-A
The RP-56 does not show chroma bug
The RP-56 ppicture quality is much better compared to the Sony 700 (both tested on Samsung TSK-3092WF EDTV)
my 2 cents

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, I'm well out of the loop. What's the advantage of this?
There is no "advantage". The point is the relationship between the DVD-Audio models, two of which where canceled before they were shipped and the fact that the non DVD-Audio model is using a different chip. Quality control is not an issue. I'm not at liberty to explain it further than that unfortunately.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Does this mean Sony is not licensing SACD as yet or at all? It seems they must for it to succeed.
Russ

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Does this mean Sony is not licensing SACD as yet or at all? It seems they must for it to succeed.
It means that Panasonic's standard is DVD-Audio and they wouldn't make a DVD unit using rival technology at the expense of their own technology. It doesn't mean they never will, but not until one or the other (or both) become the standard. It was many years before Sony produced a VHS VCR.

Will Binegar

Auditioning
None of the Panasonics have the chroma bug.
The Sage chip is the better de-interlacer, but it can't scale like the RP91's Genesis chip. So it's partly a question of feature sets.

Users who are viewing this thread