What's new

Panasonic RP-91K vs. Toshiba 9200 (1 Viewer)

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared the video and DVD-AUDIO performance of these two players? I would like to purchase one of them and would like to know if the Toshiba is worth the extra $$$.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
No contest---Panasonic wins, hands down. I own both and have retired my Toshiba 9200 to hand-me-down status. Although they both use the Genesis chipset for de-interlacing, the Panny uses a newer version which is much better and smoother. There is much less combing--you have to really be looking for it. The scaling feature (which can now be found on the Denon 4800)is a major bonus also.
DVD-Audio performance has yet to be determined by me. I liked the sound of it on my Toshiba but I have not hooked up the 91 for that yet. I did hate the fact that I had to navigate through nested menus on my 9200...something I guess later DVD-Audio players have advanced upon.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
did you say "hand-me-down"? (here's a good time to help out the next generation of HT enthusiasts!) :)
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

JaleelK

Second Unit
No contest---Panasonic wins, hands down. I own both and have retired my Toshiba 9200 to hand-me-down status. Although they both use the Genesis chipset for de-interlacing, the Panny uses a newer version which is much better and smoother. There is much less combing--you have to really be looking for it. The scaling feature (which can now be found on the Denon 4800)is a major bonus also.
----------------
I don't now about the Panny RP-91, but I have the Toshiba 9200 and all I can say is that its an awesome player, I'm very happy with it, it makes movies look like film. I do notice some of the flaws mentioned about the player, however thay are so fleeting its not enough to be worried about.
Looks and build quality of the player is beautiful and its built solid. I seen the Panny 91 and looks kind of cheap, however I know that has nothing to do with how it performs, it probably kicks serious butt.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dean,
You did not mention what type of TV you own. If you have a 16x9 HD-ready set, the RP-91's zoom/scaling feature for non-anamorphic widescreen discs will provide much better picture quality than the Toshiba 9200 and the zoom mode on your TV.
I upgraded from the Toshiba 6200 to the RP-91 and have been pleased with the upgrade in video quality. I believe the main difference between the 6200 and 9200 is a lack of DVD-Audio on the 6200.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony VW-10ht projector. I was wondering, what makes the 9200 so much heavier? Is it the D/A converters?, or the power supply?. I really like DVD-A and thought the Panasonic might have skimped in the audio area.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
DEAN-
I have a Sony 10HT also and that is what I am using my Panasonic RP-91 on. Well, actually, I am using two Pannys until I get my Denon 4800 issues resolved. I was pretty happy with my Toshiba 9200 (and I have had quite a few Toshiba DVD players-I am a fan) but the bugs were there. Now that I have seen what the newer progressive scan players can do, I do not use my 9200 at all. I will hook up the DVD-A portion in the next day or two and let you know, but I have heard it sounds great. You may want to consider the Denon 4800 when they get the bugs out. It has limited bass management for DVD-Audio.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

JaleelK

Second Unit
Dean,
You did not mention what type of TV you own. If you have a 16x9 HD-ready set, the RP-91's zoom/scaling feature for non-anamorphic widescreen discs will provide much better picture quality than the Toshiba 9200 and the zoom mode on your TV.
I upgraded from the Toshiba 6200 to the RP-91 and have been pleased with the upgrade in video quality. I believe the main difference between the 6200 and 9200 is a lack of DVD-Audio on the 6200.
------------------------
I have a Mits 16x9 set. The RP-91 may have better zoom function than the 9200, however I don't use the zoom feature at all. I've been in the process of purging my DVD collection of all non-anamorphic DVD's.
I can't see myself upgrading again for marginal improvement in video performance, as I said the bugs from the Toshiba is only fleeting and not enough for me the trash it in favor of marginal improvement in video performance.
I would upgrade if HD-DVD players hit the market or 720p DVD capable players, which my TV would upconvert to 1080i.
The Toshiba 9200 and the 6200 are identical in video performance, however the build quality of the 9200 is outstanding. With the 6200 I felt that if I bump into it my break, with the 9200, it feels very solid.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, you said:
DVD-Audio performance has yet to be determined by me. I liked the sound of it on my Toshiba but I have not hooked up the 91 for that yet. I did hate the fact that I had to navigate through nested menus on my 9200...something I guess later DVD-Audio players have advanced upon.
Are you referring to menus for DVD-Audio? These menus are on the disc, so changing players shouldn't matter, unless the remote for one player makes navigating menus easier than than the remote for the other player. Is the remote for the 'RP91 better ergonomically than the one for the '9200?
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

James D

Second Unit
I do not have any experience with either of these machines, but the Toshiba 9200 is classified as a class A product in the current Stereophile's recommended components list. FWIW, the reviewer claims that the 9200 is on equal footing as his current reference, the California Audio Labs DVD-20. The review was only interested in the audio performance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James, I had forgotten that the '9200 was so highly regarded in Stereophile. I wonder if that is mainly as a result of its DVD-Audio capability and not its CD performance. From what I have read, the Onkyo DV-S939 is better than the '9200 as an audio component. I was talking to a dealer today that sells Integra who told me that the Integra RDV-9.1 is significanly better than the 'S939 for only about $200 more.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Keith-
There were menus I had to enter on the 9200 to switch from DVD-Video to DVD-Audio. I also had to switch the Output Select or something like that. Also, when I put in a DTS DVD-Audio Disc, I had to choose these settings, then power off and then power on again. I cannot remember specifically what I did because I had these elaborate macros on my Pronto (that AndrewV did) but I do remember that I had to reverse them when I was done to play back regular DVD-Video.
Scaling is a feature that I value greatly. It is that good that I can now watch some titles that may never see anamorphic treatment, i.e. Hoosiers, and I am ok with it. Is it as good as actual anamorphic re-mastering? No...but it is close enough that it is not detracting. It is similar to the debate that some people post about DPLII being a step backwards. It is, if all of a sudden, all studios just decided that DPLII is so good, there is no reason to bother with a 5.1 track. I look it as a bonus for the stuff that I have now that may never see a surround re-master. Right now, I do not have 5.1 from my HD cable feed. I was watching Band Of Brothers last night in HD. I put the sound through DPLII and it was immersive--immediately apparent and very involving. Is it as good as the real thing(5.1)? No way, I am sure...but I will take it over regular two-channel anyday. I realize that DPLII is only a DSP, but I like it. Sorry for the tangent!
Once you actually compare these two units side-by-side, you'll see the difference is clear. I had friends over and we A/B/Ced the two players, along with the Denon 2800..which uses the Silicon Image de-interlacing chip. I know of the numerous problems that Denon had with this player, but I think most of them were ironed out by the time I got mine. Anyway, the clear choice by the 8 people that had participated was the Panasonic..unanimously. We tried many of the discs that were used in the Progressive Player Shootout. There were enough problems with the combing on the 9200 that I could not sell it to anyone in good conscience without mentioning it. There were a number of times when I forced it into Video de-interlacing (The Natural is one that comes to mind right now).
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed
[Edited last by Michael Lee on September 18, 2001 at 11:25 PM]

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, Does the LCD monitor select button make a difference in picture quality? As far as I know, this is he only player that has that feature.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
quote: I don't now about the Panny RP-91, but I have the Toshiba 9200 and all I can say is that its an awesome player, I'm very happy with it, it makes movies look like film. I do notice some of the flaws mentioned about the player, however thay are so fleeting its not enough to be worried about.
Looks and build quality of the player is beautiful and its built solid. I seen the Panny 91 and looks kind of cheap, however I know that has nothing to do with how it performs, it probably kicks serious butt.[/quote]
Amen! Well said.
quote: I believe the main difference between the 6200 and 9200 is a lack of DVD-Audio on the 6200.[/quote]
Plus about 20lbs in weight, since the SD-9200 weighs in at 24 lbs. I am sure there would be a difference in video quality in the two based on the quality of the transport mechanism. The SD-9200 is a solid unit.
I use it for 2 channel CD's and it outperforms my previous CD player plus the Pioneer Elite CLD-79 used as a CD player in terms of sound quality.
My previous DVD player the Toshiba SD-3108 was horrible for CD's.
The SD-9200 is a beast and will be in my system for a long time to come. This is spoken from a guy who upgrades every 6 months. :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on September 23, 2001 at 12:02 PM]

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Much of the weight of the SD-9200 is a heavy slab of resin at the base. This is the same with the Toshiba SD-9000 and SD-9100.
Jeff
[Edited last by Jeff on September 24, 2001 at 07:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks