Panasonic RP-91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott-C, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Having read a bunch of threads here and other places about the video quality of the Panasonic RP-91, I'm starting to think about ebaying my Pioneer Elite DV-37 and buying one. I've heard the RP-91 represents a nice step up in video quality from the DV-37.

What I'd like to know is how the audio quality of the RP-91 will compare to the DV-37 (for both CD playback and home theater sound/surround effects from movie soundtracks).

I'm really like to hear comments from those of you that have seen and heard both of these players. How much better/worse will the audio be from the RP-91?

Thanks!

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Scott. Have you noticed the chroma bug? If not then I would definately not recommend the switch unless you can get a great price for the unit of course and want to get into DVD-A. Review of the DV37 are quite split. I have come up with the conclusion that the the DV37 has garnered great reviews from magazines such as Stereophile and salespeople because they used DVDs with great encodings. It is the DVDs that is encoded horribly that give the DV37 problems. Like I said if you haven't noticed the chroma bug, you might even find the DV37 to give you better video especially if you have an Elite tv.

There are people who are going to disagree with me on this but the Elite will give you better audio.

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

[Moderators: please change title of this thread to "Panasonic RP-91 Sound Quality vs. Pioneer DV-37"] Thanks!

Howard,

Unfortunately, I do notice the chroma bug on the DV-37, and much of what I've read would indicate the RP-91 is a better unit in terms of video quality. I do hear what you're saying about the fact that badly-encoded DVDs tend to not do so well with the DV-37.

Do others think the DV-37 is a better unit in terms of both video and audio quality - (considering there are both well-encoded and badly-encoded DVDs)?

I know the DV-37 looks and feels more substantial, but there is just so much qualitative evidence out there indicating that the RP-91 might be better (note I said qualitiative). My curiousity has been stimulated over the idea of acquiring a DVD player with a higher performance level!