Panasonic RP-91 vs Denon 2800 ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMc, Dec 17, 2001.

1. JamesMc

JamesMc Auditioning

May 10, 2001

I'll be purchasing a new progressive scan DVD player soon and have narrrowed it down to these two. Actually, I was completely sold on the Denon by a salesman who touted the Silicon Image chipset. It plays CD-R, CD-RW, mp3 - everything that I wanted. The $800 price tag is a little steep, but I figured the image quality would be worth it.

But looking at these forums, I'm seeing a LOT of talk about the Panasonic and am starting to second-guess my original decision.

(By the way - I do know about certain problems with the Denon, chroma bug being one of them, and that current firmware should have that fixed.)

So, what I'd like to know are the BIG differences between these two players. I don't want to be kicking myself a month after buying one of these guys!

(And if it matters, I plan on mating this DVD player to a Mitsubishi WS-55908 pretty soon).

Please help!

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    If you do a search on the Hardware forum you will read a lot of favorable reviews of the Panasonic RP-91. Mail order it can be purchased for $450 - $500.
  3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Jan 7, 1998
    Having both players in my house, I can tell you the RP-91 gets the lion's share of playtime. The Denon 4800 could be the ideal compromise for me when I get it back from Denon shortly.