Panasonic RP-91 Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Nolan, Aug 7, 2003.

1. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

good morning all,

i'm having a problem with my dvd player - or possibly my receiver - that started last night. any output from the panasonic, whether it be optical, digital coax or 6 channel analog, plays at FULL volume (like 0db) - and the receiver's volume control won't affect it. my ps2 plays the same dvd fine. the receiver though started acting funny as well, which is why i can't figure out who's the culprit. it plays all of the other inputs at a much softer level than it did before. normally i would watch tv at about -45db, but i now have to turn it up to -30db. there are no night modes enabled, unless the receiver is doing it without telling me. anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. i've had the rp-91 for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it. is there a reset button or anything that might help? i couldn't find any mention of it in the manual. thanks

david

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What kind of receiver might we be talking about here?

Receivers often do have a reinitializing mode, allowing you to wipe the electronic slate clear so to speak. Check your manual. Then, of course, you'll have to go through the setup procedure again.

3. David Nolan

David Nolan Stunt Coordinator

jack, it is a harman kardon avr-525 - and i did try the reset procedure. that didn't work, but see below...

well, i narrowed down the problem - the receiver's 6 channel analog inputs. when anything is plugged into them, that input's volume gets maxed and everything else goes down. i unplugged the dvd player from them and everything else is fine now. the optical, digital coax, all of the other analog inputs are fine, just those are messed up. so i'll be calling hk support i guess - see about getting it fixed. unless there is some grounding problem that has suddenly developed, or anybody has an idea.

david