What's new

Panasonic RP-91 layer changes (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I've had my RP-91 for about 6 months and ever since I bought it I have noticed how slow the layer changes on this machine are. It's atrocious. Do all the other RP-91 owners out there experience 1-2 second audio dropouts, every time there's a layer change. All of the circumstances are repeatable as well.

The RP-91 is my 5th dvd-player and my most expensive, and also the worst with layer changes. NONE of my other dvd-players were even noticeable in this regard. Is there someting wrong with my player, or is this normal??

My receiver is a Yamaha RVX-1200 BTW, hooked up via toslink connection.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Of all the DVD players I have owned and currently own(about 8 or so), I'd say it's not the quickest but not the slowest either.

Which version of firmware do you have? I don't know if any of the current ones made the layer change faster or not, but it's worth a shot if you're running an older version.

DJ

Nick V

Second Unit
I did a firmware upgrade when I bought the unit (demo model) but I can't remember which version it was. How can I check, and which one is the most current??

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Layer changes on my RP-91 are noticable, but still very acceptable (probably less than a second). It's no worse than the two Sonys and one Toshiba that I've owned.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Press and hold: open/close, stop and pause on the front of the player. At the same time press the number 7 on the remote.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
V 2.50 seems the be the latest firmware that I've heard of, there might be something more recent, though.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have the predecessor to the 91, the Technics DVD-A10. Layer changes are terrible on this unit as well.

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
I had that Panasonic player also.
It's terrible for the layer change, but the picture so good.
I didn't know you could upgrade it, is this true?
How do you upgrade?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think mine has ever been more than a second on my RP91. But my previous one was the Proscan PS-8680Z which was superb on layer changes.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
My Panny RP91 is also slow at times on layer changes.
My Toshiba 2109 was better at changes.

Still the RP91 is a great machine.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I owned one, and found the layer change to be slow. I have gone to a Denon 3800--almost no layer change int eruption at all and a picture that betters the RP-91. I have also been playing with a MOVI M2000, a dedicated HTPC/DVD player--absolutely no layer change with this unit.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about layer changes in general: wouldn't it be a simple matter to include enough RAM in a dvd player to cache enough frames that layer changes would be unnoticeable?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
wouldn't it be a simple matter to include enough RAM in a dvd player to cache enough frames that layer changes would be unnoticeable?
That's what Denon does with their players -- they have a 2-4MB (depending on the model) buffer that makes layer change virtually unnoticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks