***Panasonic RP-91 Firmware Update***

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert George, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I'm going to start a new thread on this as I will be linking to some information that owners of Panasonic DVD-RP91 players will be interested in and I will "stick" this thread to the top of the forum listing to make it easy to find for a few days.
    First thing, Panasonic will not be any help here. This is not a Panasonic service procedure or product. This firmware update disc is to be considered unofficial and if one screws one's player up using it, tough titty.
    So much for the requisite scary warning.
    This firmware file that is now making the rounds was created by an obviously talented techo-dude by "ripping" the firmware from a newer player. Panasonic does have a "DVD Recovery" disc that is available for something like $10, but this is an older firmware that does not fix the "left shift" problem. I'm assume the guy who created this file used that disc with a newer firmware.
    There is a thread on AV Science forum with not only a good deal of first hand info on doing this, but also a direct link to a site that is hosting this rather large file (Thanks, Robert)...
    AV Science RP91 Firmware Thread
    Potential users, read the whole thread. This operation is not as "cut & dried" as it sounds at first. I burned a total of 5 discs using 3 different programs before I got a disc to work. I still couldn't tell you why the last one worked and the others didn't. Others that understand file formatting and such will have to offer their expertise.
    Lastly, I can tell you first hand it does work. The procedure is simple once you get a disc the player will read. An on-screen message comes up advising if your player needs the update. One has a single selection to make with the remote. The rest of the procedure is automatic. Also note, all player settings will be returned to factory default.
    Have fun!

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Does the firmware update speed up the RP-91's boot-up time at all, or is it just this left-shift dealy for the progressive output?

-JNS

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Does the firmware update anything other than the shift problem? I was able to fix the shift without the firmware...so why bother? [​IMG]

4. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

How did you fix the shift problem, Gary?

5. Will

Will Guest

The latest RP91 firmware is as I understand it, version 236.

However the patch that's online is version 227, which is an

earlier version. Is this correct?

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i just bought my RP91 like 2 weeks ago. do i need this upgrade or has Panny changed its production to include this?

7. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

To check what version you have, just press Stop, Pause, Open/Close button at the same time with one hand and press 7 on remote control with your other hand.
    FWIW, I had no problem at all burning the VCD using Nero 5.5.5.1 on Verbatim 80 minute CDR. First try at 12x worked fine. My burner is Plextor 12/10/32a.
    Will.. you are correct. The link is to version 227. 236 has not been ripped yet.
    BTW, I went from version 188 (left shift problem) to version 227 (right shift problem!). sigh.
    oh well. manual shift trick fixes either one.
    [​IMG]

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Rick- just have to say that i use Nero and that same Plextor and have had NO trouble at all with burining anything EVER. both are fine products. [​IMG]

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Ugh.

1 - BSOD from the Nero Installer(updater for the expired Demo download on the site)

1 - repeating Illegal Error from the Padus software on every attempted burn

5 - coasters from Nero Demo that didn't even make it into the RP91.

1 - non-readable blind .iso burn on the Mac hoping .nrg image was really an .iso image

Do I really have to reinstall Win2K again on my HTPC??

Does anybody have a real .iso image like the usual linux downloads and not a proprietary .nrg format?? Thanks.

(Win98 SE, 24 X Sanyo BP-1500 Firewire Burner)

or

(MacOS X w/ same firewire burner)

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Joseph: I do not get a BSOD, but I get an illegal error message and program close down from every attempt to open the RP91 file from within Nero or even when I click on the file and then select nero. Finally, uninstalled Nero since my RP91 is not acting up nor shifting left nor right. Ver 155 displayed?

BTW, Win98SE2 Gold. Technical Beta Edition.

11. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Matt: To shift the picture you hold the "stop" button on your dvd player & click the side arrow on the remote control.

12. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Rick........same thing happened to me. I went from a left shift problem to a right shift problem with the new firmware. So I just used the old fix and shifted the image to the left and it's all good now.

I had no problem burning the firmware update at all, once i got Nero installed. It burned at 8X onto Memorex CD-R material, and once it was in the player it took about 5 minutes to be done.

The guy who ripped this firmware from his RP-91 is going to find out if he can get version 236 and then he will post that as well.

13. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

14. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Joseph / others: I keep getting a message that Nero has expired! Any ideas how to launch this thing?

15. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Gary (or others), I'll make a CD-R available to anyone who wants it for just $3 shipped. Just e-mail me: [email protected]
    I had no problems burning the unzipped file with Nero 5.5 on a 650mb Memorex CD-RW @ 4x speed in a HP cd-writer.

16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

While I did set up my RP91 this past weekend (manufactured in October '01), I forgot to check the firmware. I will be sure to do it tonight and post the results.

Regards,

Ron

17. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Beyond the left shift issue what else does the upgrade fix?

Does it correct the pink tint issue in progressive mode?

I scanned the posts at AVS but there doesn't seem to be a list of what the upgrades are correcting, fixing, adding?

Also - is this a reversible procedure? I would assume one would have to duplicate the procedure with their original firmware to reverse the process.

18. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Rick,

Thank you for the link to the .iso image.

I successfully used the .iso image with Toast Preview for OS X.

Instructions.

1)Choose "Disc Image" from the "Other" menu.

2)Push the "Select" button and navigate/select the correct .iso image

3)Click Record (I used 12x, burn entire disc, Samsung 80 Min 16 X media)

4)Insert CDR in DVD Player and choose Yes from the on-screen display

5)Wait a while and then eject disc when it tells you to at the "complete" screen.

Thanks everyone. I'm amazed I still had the 188 firmware considering my RP91 was just in the shop for almost all of November.

19. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I have to ask - is there any point to this update? I mean, the "left-shift" problem is easily fixed - and the pink tint bug is easily avoided if you know what not to do.

Combine this with the reports the fix now creates a "right-shift" problem, I wonder what the real point of an upgrade would be, except to say you have a higher version number?

----

Jeff

20. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    can someone answer my question? does anyone know?