Panasonic RP-82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Navid T, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Navid T

Navid T Auditioning

I know many of you are still trying to find the Panasonic RP-82. I found it at Crutchfield and I know they have at least 40 more in stock at $229 with $11 for shipping. You can’t find it on their website, but if you call them at 1-888-955-6000 the sales agent should be able to find it on their system. If you want to get a $20 discount on the order PM me and I'll let you know how. You can get it for $220 with shipping included.
    Now for my preliminary review of the RP-82. I only received it yesterday, so I have not had a chance to watch many sources. For starters, the RP-82 does not have the scaling features many people (including myself) have been hoping for. It only has the same 4:3 zoom as the RP-56 and RP-62. I guess I don’t mind that much because I stopped buying non-anamorphic DVDs when I bought my 16x9 TV. That’s the bad news. The good news is that the RP-82 has an incredible picture. I have used an RP-62 and a Toshiba SD-4700 before the RP-82 and I think the picture on the RP-82 is better than both. The picture is vibrant, crisp, flicker free and void of the dreaded chroma bug (I have to admit that I also upgraded from a Monster component cable to a Better Cables component cable at the same time, so my comparison may not be entirely fair). In any event, I am very happy with my purchase and I can’t wait to try out the DVD-audio function soon.
    [​IMG]

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    So what do you do with non-anamorphic movies with these players without scaling? Zoom? How is the picture quality in zoom mode?

3. Navid T

Navid T Auditioning

I only have one non-anamorphic DVD in my collection, but I have not watched it yet on the RP-82. The RP-62 would strech the picture to fit the 16x9 screen, then I would zoom to get rid of the distortion. It looked OK, but not great. I am assuming the RP-82 would do the same thing.

4. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Come on over to this thread. We've already got a big discussion going on the RP-82!