Panasonic RP-82 vs. CP-72 revisited

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Sep 25, 2002.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

I am really sorry to ask what seems to be the same question I've asked before, but I'm about to purchase either the RP-82 or CP72, and I need to know if the subtle differences in the RP-82 are enough to choose a single disc player over a 5 disk one. I've asked this before and I apologize that I couldn't find the thread, but I remember that people have mentioned the RP-82's Digital Re-Mastering processing wasn't that great. The one thing I noticed in comparing the specs of the two was the RP-82 has gamma correction. What is that, and will it help with my 65" Mitsu's picture? Also the RP-82 has 4:4:4 signal processing and 4:3 shrink with letterbox zoom and shift. I think those are the big items that make up the differences between the two models. If someone can let me know what these functions do and if any of them are must haves I would really appreciate it. Once again, sorry about the repost.

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Simply put, gamma correction controls the overall brightness (black level) of an image. Images which are not properly corrected can look either bleached out, or too dark. Another way to think of it is levels of grey.

On the RP-82, there are two settings for gamma (Light or Dark) which are supposed to be used for S-video (Light) or component video (Dark) outputs. The difference between the two is not that great, and you can adjust for it on your Mits anyway.

The RP-82 does not have 4:3 shrink with letterbox zoom and shift. That is one of the errors that are often found on the Panasonic website.

3. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

The CP-72 has "Light and Dark" gamma settings also.

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Is the "Darker" vs. "Lighter" setting on a DVD player really gamma or is it just black level? I thought all it did was control whether information between IRE 7.5 and IRE 0 was shown as distinct grades of gray or all collapsed into IRE 7.5 "black". That would be nothing to do with gamma.

5. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

You're right Brent. My mistake. While there is no individual gamma setting ability on the RP-82, changes are achieved through the various mode settings (Normal, Cinema 1 and 2).

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,

Do you see any difference between Cinema 1, Cinema 2, and Normal when the player is set to progressive output?

I have a CP-72, and see a noticeable difference between these 3 modes when the player is set to interlaced output, but none at all when it's set to 480p.