What's new

Panasonic RP-62 vs. Onkyo-SP301 and Pioneer 563 (1 Viewer)

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
I figured I would just post here a little review of the comparison I did this past week with these 3 players. Well I just picked up a Onkyo SP-301 for $150 at 6th ave electronics and a Pioneer 563 at Best Buy for $180 I already have a Panasonic RP-62 for over a year and I wanted to try out a few of these newer dvd players, so I went and picked up a Pioneer 563 and the Onkyo SP-301. The Pioneer went back the next day the picture was blurry and the sound wasn't as good as the Pansonic I already own. So then I hooked up the Onkyo and was very suprised. Audio wise, it exceeds the panasonic with more life like sound and a more immersive home theater experience, the panasonic at times sounded a little tinny to me. Video wise the Onkyo even without Faroudja processing beat the RP-62. The colors are much more vibrant and the pictue is much more filmlike then the panasonic. So believe it or not I am now using the Onkyo as my main player on my 47 inch hdtv and regulating the panasonic to second bedroom status. I can't say enough about this player it is spectacular and it even plays JPEG's from my digital camera that I burned on a cd:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon Oliva

Agent
Hey Dan - does the Onkyo have the chroma bug? How do you think it would compare to the venerable RP-82?

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Jon, I have not seen the chroma bug at all, I could notice it with the RP-62 though, and also on the RP-62 I noticed oversaturated colors would almost blink or flash constantly, but now with the onkyo 301 everything is solid, no flashing of colors.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Good to hear - I will have to keep this one in mind as I shop for the best budget player I can find! I'm getting DVDs for xmas and I don't have a Dvd player yet...hehehe

Chris HP

Auditioning
wow i still have my sp301 in a box for the past three weeks. I got it for free, from onkyo when i got the ht-760
from them. Been very happy with my liteon 2001. Maybe i should do a comparison.

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, you should give it a try, I mean you have it just sitting there anyway. You might be as suprised as I was about this player, also as for Jon asking about comparing it to an RP-82 I never got a chance to get my hands on one of those players so I don't know how they compare. sorry man

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Just as a note you must have one of the last RP-62s without the FLI2200 deinterlacers (B in serno)

Most RP-62s have very good PQ essentially equal to the RP82, and do not have any CUE. (I used to own one)

Jon Oliva

Agent
Hey Paul - any idea if these good PQ and no Chroma bug traits apply to the newer line of Panasonic players? I've been searching around and haven't heard a definitive answer, but I am curious if maybe the 62's successor is comperable...

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Sorry but the new cheap Panasonic models have chroma bug and use an inferior de-interlacer with artifacts, avoid them.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Damnit! Not even one of them? How dissapointing. Finding a good budget DVD player is tough....

edit final: you know...I need to continue researching before I start peppering more questions. Ugh this is tough. THe Denon 910 is at the top of my list right now though for under $300....but...it may be overkill for me...I dunno...ugh...

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes your best best now is a Denon DVD-910 or the Mitsubishi DD-8040 these are now the cheapest new model DVD players with Faroudja de-interlacer that are the only successors to the old Panasonic RP62,RP82 models - unless you buy a used Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 on EBAY.

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the new Secrets of HiFi DVD shootout, they list the players with the FLI2200.

Also, don't be scared of the Si504, which I have in my denon 2900. The 2200 video is very similar with no alt-prog flag problems (seen on many Disney titles). Very nice chip indeed. I prefer it to the FLI2200 for film encoded material (most movies). However it is not nearly as good for video material (TV shows on DVD).

Be careful with the RP62s on ebay... get one from someone who knows what they have and check the serno. There are a lot of bulk refurbs because of some quality issues and the later models had cheap integrated deinterlacers.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Okay this narrows it down A LOT - thanks guys! I've decided on the Denon-910. I will be watching a lot of TV Shows on DVD (Buffy, Band of Brothers, Futurama, etc) as well as movies, so I will stick with the FLI2200. There it is. PHEW.

Thanks again I can't believe I've made a decision...haha...now to dig up the money...

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, actually I have one of the older RP-62's and it does have the Faroudja processor in it, I got it about a year and half ago.

Jon Oliva

Agent
DOH! Now I think I also need to check out the Mitsubishi DD-8040 and the Kenwood 6050....DVD-A would be nice....heh, always something else to check out....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks