Panasonic RP-62 Component to Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brendan Stone, May 8, 2004.

1. Brendan Stone

Brendan Stone Auditioning

Hello,

I had hooked up my Panasonic RP-62 DVD player to my Samsung DLP. I first used the S-Video, which looked pretty fair. I then bought some Monster Component Cables connected the DVD player that way as well.

Now, I haven't bought a setup DVD yet, but it seems to me and all other viewers that the S-Video looks better than the component input. It looks like it has more colour variation and accuracy. People say that the S-Video image looks more realistic and "jumps out" at them more.

I have tried the "normal," "movie," and "dynamic" settings on the component input but none of them are right on. On default settings, the DVD on component is too dark - I have to turn it up to "dynamic" to match the S-video. For most other people, it seems to be vice versa - their component is quite light. I don't understand the problem or how to solve it - it exists whether I let my DVD handle the progressive out or let the DLP do the deinterlacing. Does anyone know what is wrong?

2. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

I've read things like this before, and it's probably because the up-converter on your Tv is better than the one in your DVD player. I could be wrong tho (still sorta a newbie!) Lets see what other people say

Mike

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The black level between s-video and component may be different. Component is usually 0IRE for black while s-video and composite are usually 7.5IRE, so they have to be adjusted differently on the display. Also go into the DVD player's setup menu and look for a black level setting - is it set to lighter or darker? Change it and check the difference.

4. Brendan Stone

I have had the DVD player's black level set to "DARKER" all along, which is what the manual says it should be set to when using component cables. When I change it either way, from DARKER to LIGHTER, it doesn't make any discernable difference to myself or other viewers. [In fact, I may be crazy, but I think changing the black level makes more of a difference on the S-Video than on the component.]

Furthermore, I keep switching the "Progressive on" button on the front of the player on and off, but I can't see any difference between the two. "Progressive On" is enabled, so it is outputting progressive video when I tell it to, but I can't see any difference whether I let the player or the TV deinterlace. I'm pretty stumped - the component input is always darker than the S-video and probably doesn't look as good either. The S-video, so far, is just right, and I don't want to mess around with it. I don't know how to get a better picture from the component video input.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I believe the black level setup only affects the composite and s-video output, for component its always 0IRE. You have to enable progressive two different places in the setup menus or it isn't really on. Just calibrate with the component input - progressive mode should be higher resolution and less artifacts especially with video-based titles. Get an AVIA DVD for proper calibration. Does the Samsung DLP have a built-in Faroudja de-interlacer? If so that would explain why you wouldn't see much difference.

6. Brendan Stone

I believe that the Samsung DLP does indeed have a built in deinterlacer of high quality. Possibly the same type as the DVD player too. So is it just a matter of adjusting contrast, brightness, etc... settings through the component input? [One thing that is nice about the DLP is that it lets you have different saved settings for different inputs, so I can play around with the component settings hopefully without screwing around with the S-video settings. DVD player settings affect both inputs, however, so I don't like to adjust the DVD player as much.] I will check to see if I have somewhere disabled progressive output, though the green light is on indicating that progressive is functioning normally.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would adjust the players settings as little as possible and do your calibration with the TVs settings. What are you using to calibrate? Have you calibrated this set before? IMO, component typically IS darker, and I have found after calibration, my DVD settings are MUCH darker than my "out of the box" TV settings. For progressive, I also found that I had to adjust the sharpness setting or progressive would take on a grainy apperance. If you are used to watching TV with the built in settings, which are generally ridiculously exaggerated, proper calibration may not look correct at first, but watch it that way for a while and you will see that it actually does look better. If you are used to a calibrated display, then it should just be a matter of dialing it in.