Panasonic RP-61 at Sears Canada Now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Oct 28, 2001.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I ordered and just recieved the Panasonic RP-61 DVD audio/video player. I ordered it at www.Sears.ca. They are still showing stock of the player. For those looking at the RP-61 before Panasonic pulled this model, this is your chance.
    I will be returning this back to Sears. I am having second thoughts about keeping the player now that Pansonic makes no service commitments and that they dont make this player any more. After the warranty period, I dont think parts or service would be avaliable.
    I broke down and purchased the RP-91 for $650.00 CND. I may compare the RP-61 with the RP-91, or just send it back unopened to Sears.

2. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

At CDN$650, the RP-61 appears pricey. It was suppose to list at just under CDN$500 (prior to it's supposed cancellation)...this info was obtained from http://www.nbtelectronics.com
    I have heard that the RP-91 is priced as low as CDN$695 before taxes from an Ontario dealer.
    The RP-56 lists for CDN$400.
    As for the 7 disc JVC progressive (the 90 or 95 model I think), a local dealer told me that it lists for CDN$600. They were willing to give it to me for only CDN$550...still too expensive IMO.
    Dave

3. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

DavidY I think actually that David found the RP91 at 650$ cdn... which is a Heck of a deal!
    Miles
    ------------------
    Miles
    DarkSide Member since(93)

4. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Thanks for pointing out my error, Miles. I should be reading the posts a bit closer.
    Sorry, David. My bad. At CDN$650, the RP-91 is a great deal IMO. Enjoy.
    Dave
    [Edited last by DavidY on October 28, 2001 at 05:54 PM]

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Where can you get the RP91 for $650 Canadian? Was this used?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

6. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I have not heard of this unit becoming available, but as far as I know, up 'till now, they had not been manufactured. So, if Sears does have them, then the unit has just now been produced and I wouldn't worry about warranty repairs. I'll have to check into this with my Panasonic rep. I'm really surprised that he wouldn't have mentioned this to me.

8. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

The dealer who is selling the RP-91 for $650 must have gotten a volume deal because, $650 for that player is below cost. If anyone can find it for that price, snap it up.
    Here in Canada, the RP-56 is currently on sale at Future Shop for $349 until Tuesday, Sept 30th.
    Norm

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

If a major retailer such as Sears got the 'RP61, why would you assume that Panasonic will not service it? Believe me, even if Panasonic cancelled production of the 'RP61, as has been stated here several times, the units that Sears got Panasonic intended for Sears to get. Therefore, Panasonic is aware of the product and has to service it. It's not as though a few got out of Panasonic's warehouse illegally or that someone manufactured them illegally and put the Panasonic name on them. The units Sears received are legitimate Panasonic merchandise. Despite all of this, let's assume for now that Panasonic has decided to go ahead with production of the 'RP61. Maybe more retailers will get them.
    I find it interesting that a couple new components are appearing in Canada before the US. One member here reported a few weeks ago that he bought the Sony SCD-XE670 multi-channel SACD player at a Sony Store in Canada. The 'XE670 still is not available in the US. Likewise, I have heard of no US retailers getting the 'RP61.
    Before you return your 'RP61, see if other retailers end up getting it. Who knows, you may have a rare piece there. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

10. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I got the RP-91 for $650.00 CDN but I haggled the price. They wanted $699.00. This is the only unit that this dealer brought in, and it was thier showroom demo. This dealer deals mostly in mid-fi stuff, but brings in one or two higher end pieces and I dont think it got demo'd much.
    I have not returned the RP-61 yet. I am going to contact Panasonic to see if they will honor warranty and parts. I did email Panasonic about my purchace from Sears to see if there was a problem with the player, and why they discontinued it. They replied that they did not manufacturer this model any longer and that they could not help me any further.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David said:

12. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, RP-61 for $500 Canada = $317 US, and RP 91 at $650 Can = $412 US. Sounds like a good deal for the RP91 but not the 61. If memory serves the 61 was only supposed to list for $300-350. It would be nice to save a $100 if they are similiar though. David, you are in a unique position to compare the two as it seems the US will not likely see the 61. Care to give it a shot before you return the 61? Any comments would be interesting.
    Maybe Panasonic is just waiting for the cheaper Toshibas to arrive, so they have some other product to compete with other than their own.

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I did talk to my Panny rep today and he has no information about the RP61 becoming available, although he wouldn't necessarily be informed about it immediately either. He's going to see what he can find out about this.