What's new

Panasonic RP-56 Progressive is out! (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I finally got the chance to compare the Pana to Sony 700 and Tosh 5100 series (all prog scan)
Price not withstanding, the Pana wins all the time in terms of picture quality. Now, putting the price into consideration, the Pana is even more of a winner.
The only drawback of this unit is that there is a major lack of ergonomics in the remote (ergonomically speaking, it sucks BIG time) and there is no fun features to speak of.
However, if you are only into picture quality and have a very limited budget like me. I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit to everyone.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Miles, I'm 100% certain.
Unless of course someone just wrote that on the chip as a joke :)
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jody_L

Auditioning
What are the main differences between the scaling features of the RP-91, RP-56 and the JVC S60/70?
Does the RP-56 have any deterimental "bugs"?
Thanks.
P.S.: Is the RP-56 and/or the S70 available in B.C. yet?
Thanks again.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
If you are talking about the non-anamorphic upconversion, the RP-56 does not have that feature.
It only has the progressive scan output with 3:2 pull down conversion and does it really well.
With regards to the JVC, although I have never tried it myself, according to my salesperson, from his experience, JVC will pose more problems in recognizing DVDs in general compared to the Panasonic.
I believe him. Why? He sells them both, he got both of them in stock, the JVC 70 sells more than the 56, and still he recommends the 56 for disc compatibility more than the 70.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Can someone tell me this... I keep seeing that this player does not have the chroma bug. Is the chroma bug what makes the tinker toy lid flicker in Toy Story?
If so I see it with the RP56, and I can't believe no one else does. I've got it connected to a Tosh tw56x81, plain as day it flickers.
Or is this ringing? Where do I find a good description of all these problems and examples of how to check them?

J

John Morris

quote: Price not withstanding, the Pana wins all the time in terms of picture quality. Now, putting the price into consideration, the Pana is even more of a winner.[/quote]
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on October 08, 2001 at 03:07 AM]

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Just being really confused here. What's the quote for? Do you agree or disagree? or is there something else that you wanted to add?

PaulKH

Second Unit
First time on here...
(Aside: Surprised this 'hardware' forum isn't broken down into TVs, DVDs, receivers, etc., there's WAY too much stuff in this one area.)
(Why doesn't a 'quote' get included when I reply to a message!?)
Anyway... David Susilo...
> If you are talking about the non-anamorphic
> upconversion, the RP-56 does not have that feature.
So you're saying that if I watch non-anamorphic material on the RP56 and my TV (Pioneer Elite 510HD) can't stretch progressive video (it can't), then it's stretched and that's it, right?
> It only has the progressive scan output with 3:2
> pull down conversion and does it really well.
This seems bizarre. Aren't new cartoon movies done 30fps? And if so, doesn't that mean they don't display progressive? Plus, some movies have film (24) and video (30) segments I think, so does that mean the player goes in and out of progressive output!?!?! Seems strange.
I want a progressive DVD player, but if the RP56 has these limitations, it looks like my search isn't over. Maybe the new Toshiba 5700??? This looks like a MAJOR bargain - I wonder what the 'gotchas' are there... anyone know anything about it?
[Edited last by Paul Higginbottom on October 09, 2001 at 09:50 PM]

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the group Paul!
I would normally suggest searching for info on the Tosh 5700, but search isn't working... damn it.
I realize it's OT, but...
If anyone has info on the Tosh could you post a link? I really want to know when this will be out and price. I might just return the Pana, it doesn't seem to have many feature.
And... My RP56 was keeping me from using some features at some times. Last night I was watching Blow and I couldn't FF, skip, pause or anything at times. I just get a little disc logo with a red x in the upper right of the screen. I have no idea why, but I couldn't pause.
Another problem was I did something with the terminator 2 disc going to the menu and returning to the movie (without chapter start) and the video was stuttering and jerky. Like every few frames were dropped.
[Edited last by Jeff D on October 10, 2001 at 02:27 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks