What's new

Panasonic RP-56 Progressive is out! (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Guys,
with all due respect, please go back to the original topic.
RP-56
does it do:
1. Anamorphic upconversion
2. Progressive scan on non 24fps material
bump bump bump bump bump
eek.gif

Jeff

Supporting Actor
"- No coaxial digital audio connection"
That's a major disadvantage IMO.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
seriously,
nobody can confirm the anamorphic upconversion capability and the non-24fps progressive capability?

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also curious about anamorphic upconversion capability. Also, how common are non-24 fps material?
I've been saving up for a RP-91 but my receiver doesn't have 5 channel discrete inputs needed for DVD audio. The money I save could go toward a new pre-pro and amp that would handle discrete 5 channel inputs. THEN I would need a new DVD that would handle DVD audio. This is an insane hobby!!!
Joe

ScottKag

Auditioning
Hello! Is this thread off topic or what?
I haven't looked at an RP91 up close, but I made a friend buy an RP56 last week. Near as I can tell it is very similar to the RP91 minus these major features:
1) no DVD-Audio
2) no 12 bit video DAC's
3) no display scaling functions.
4) no onboard dolby digital decoder
Regarding Anamorphic Upconversion:
Probably no. I'm not 100% certain because I have not checked a sample disc, but I would assume the RP56 does not do this because of item 3 above. Get an RP91 or a JVC if you need this. If your TV can do aspect ratio control with 480P, this is not a problem.
Regarding progressive scan on non-24 fps:
Short answer: yes. Only 24 fps material (film) can be de-interlaced, 30 fps material (video) is only doubled. This applies to any progressive player with 3:2 pulldown. I have never seen any name-brand progressive player that does not do 3:2 pulldown EXCEPT non-Elite Pioneers.
In case anyone is going to ask: like all other Panasonics: NO CHROMA BUG!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba 40H80 which does not lock into full mode with progressive scan and therefore I can use the different modes. Would I get the same results on non-anamorphic discs as the RP91 and scaling?

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hello all..
Can I use a progressive scan player on a non-hdtv rptv? If so would the picture be any better then what I am using now?
Thanks
Rhett
Sorry for the off topic

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Nope, you won't get any advantage if you are not using HDTV from a progressive-scan unit. Unless, of course, you are using EDTV.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
ScottKag, (or anybody else, for the matter),
After all this time, have you encountered picture shift on the 56 like the 91? How about the pink-tint bug? Anamorphic upscaling? (although I assume, no)
Again, thanks for the inputs. I'm buying a DVD player within the next three days and nobody (including Panasonic Canada themselves) can (or willing to) answer the questions at hand.
biggrin.gif

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I wish I could answer! Panasonic told me the units were in-stock, so I ordered some. That was over 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting! David, does anybody have these in-stock in the Toronto area?
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

ScottKag

Auditioning
Am I the only one who has ever actually seen one of these things?
--picture shift on the 56 like the 91?
Don't know. I haven't checked the overscan, not a big deal to me. If it bothers you, it is easy to fix on most TV's.
--How about the pink-tint bug?
The RP56 doesn't even have the mode that makes the RP91 turn pink, so very unlikely.
--Anamorphic upscaling?
No. If you want this get the RP91 or a JVC.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Thank you ScottKag for the info. It seems like I'm getting closer in purchasing the RP-56.
blush.gif

As far as Canadian availability of the unit, I've just contacted Panasonic and they claimed to be back ordered by another two weeks.
rolleyes.gif
I think it's just their excuse of not having enough unit (other than the initial several hundred units for demo purposes) being shipped to Canada.
tongue.gif

I hope I can test (and buy) one soon.
:)
blush.gif
frown.gif
angry.gif
furious.gif
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Okay. Although I hate to be the main poster for my own post, can somebody tell me the progressive picture quality difference between this unit and the RP-91?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
They just came in! I've spent about 35 seconds with it so far, but I have these observations to report:
* They are using the Sage FLI2200 chip
Need I say more?!
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I guess I'm buying it!
I heard some that some people likes the progressive-scan picture on a JVC better than Panasonic. Taste aside, is it possible that a Sage deinterlacer can be beaten by a JVC in-house de-interlacer?

Miles

Second Unit
Hey JohnnyG,
Are you sure they're using the Sage chip? Not doubting but I see so many conflicting posts...
Also have you had some more time to spend with the player? Any more impression to provide?
Thanks for your time,
Miles

David Susilo

Screenwriter
It doesn't matter. I've just bought it and watched Josie and the Pussycats (I think the movie is cute!).
The picture quality is amazing. I'm using progressive output connected to Samsung TSK3092WF. The image is just stunning. It's really worth the Cdn $375 (including our 15% taxes). Sage or not Sage, it's worth buying.

The RP 56 has been available for several weeks in my area. I previously had a 5109 Tosh, so I picked up the RP56 and the Sony 700P. As far as image quality goes, the Panny beat the Sony by far, and was quite a bit better than the 5109. I sold the Tosh and am taking back the Sony. The panny has an annoying remote and not a whole lot of features, but IMO you are mainly paying for the pic quality. It has a great picture.
------------------
Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
Panasonic RP56 prog scan
Arcam Diva AVR100
Arcam Diva P85 power amp
Arcam alpha 7se cd player
Paradigm ref studio 60(bi-amped and wired)
Paradigm montior 7 surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks