What's new

Panasonic RP-56 Progressive is out! (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm all for cutting corners on the unused features, but cutting output to only either coax or optical is ridiculous.
The difference in manufacturing cost will be no more than US$ 1 (yes, one dollar) and they are saving that?
If any other manufacturer can have both outputs at a price point that is much less than the Panasonic, why would Panasonic needs to save that additional dollar?
This player becoming more expensive for me because
1. I have to buy an optical cable (at least $20)
or
2. I have to buy optical to coax converter (at least $40)
Either way, rather than just charge an additional $1 to the customer, now I have to spend at $40 because option number one is not even an option for me since I don't have any optical input left.
sigh...
ps: any news about the "progressive can only be used with 24fps material: ?

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
You are correct that the savings may be $1.00. (or less) This is one dollar at cost not retail. Now multiply $1.00 times one million units produced. Just because another manufacturer has both doesn't mean they didn't cut corners somewhere else. Perhaps a less expensive drawer mechanism with a shorter life span for instance. I didn't provide this information to spark a debate on whether anyone agreed or disagreed with a decision that was made. It was merely to answer the question as to why a manufacturer would leave out a feature that a particular person wanted. It isn't done just for the heck of it. Many thiongs are considered when these decisions are made. If you aren't happy with this particular decision than I apoligize to you, but it wasn't done to spite you and force you to buy an expensive cable. Buy a Canon digital camcorder and you will discover when you get it home that it doesn't have a stand alone battery charger. You have to charge the battery in the unit. No more charging your spare while you use the camera unless you purchase an expensive accessory. However, Canon not only saved the cost of the charger, but the shipping weight and freight charges that it represented.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
While your reasoning is, in fact, very true, I still don't understand why the $1 savings.
I can understand (although disagree) with the savings Canon (and Sony) made with regards to the charger, at least they actually save in shipping, another SKU number, larger-sized inventory space etc.
I don't personally know about the RP-56, but I know for a fact that there is a line on the PCB which supposed to lead to a coax output on the RP-31 but not used.
So really, the savings (I checked with one very reliable source in Japan) is about 10 cents per unit.
Not to debate, but a savings of 10 cents? Charge us a dollar for that 10 cents jack and everybody will be happy.
Don't get me wrong, I may still buy the RP-56 (if I will ever get any input with regards to the progressive capability of the unit), but I now have to budget another $70 Cdn for the toslink to spdif converter.

J

John Morris

Tom J: thanks for the info on the rp56! As it is, it still is a great bargain... even without two digital outputs. How does the non-progressive output compare to the much revered RV-80 unit? How does the progressive output compare to the even more revered RP-91?
Thanks for your generous input here on HTF!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
John, you are very welcome. I have not had an opportunity to see the 56 in action. My responsibilities have changed in the last two months and I am no longer as hands on as I was. In fact for the next year I am on a special project that is not product related.
David, I don't doubt your quote of 10 cents. That is why I stated "or less." There are other factors that add up besides just one 10 cent component. As I stated I was trying to start a debate, but merely explain the process involved. My examples were extremely over simplified. I have been involved in meetings were arguments have raged over whether a 5 cent part was included or not.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Tom, I guess I'm just p155ed off by corporate insane cutbacks. The same thing goes with my request to the company I work for to implement a warranty seal which cost less than half a cent Canadian. Two years went by and still they are still thinking about it. Meanwhile, they are wasting a Cdn$100 for every unit that's been tampered with.
(you know, those "warranty void if removed" stickers)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got a few coming in any day now, so I'll guess I'll have some answers soon, but I'm curious to know whether this is a real 3:2 pulldown player or an interpolator like the Pioneer? I imagine it's 3:2 since they make that comment about progressive only working for 24fps material??
Oh, and the front of the unit definitely says "54MHz 10bit VIDEO DAC". If looks identical to a RV31 with the addition of a "Progressive Out' button just to the left of the jog/shuttle dial.
------------------
[Edited last by JohnnyG on August 09, 2001 at 12:49 PM]

David Susilo

Screenwriter
According to Markerter's News, all Panasonic's prog-scan units have the 3:2 pull down conversion capability.
However, from the foot note, it seems odd to me that it does not do progressive scan on 30fps material.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Another reason why they chose to go with optical only might be differentiation. For example, the rp61 and rp91 have very similar features, but one of the differences is that the 61 has optical out only (like the 56) while the 91 has both. So if you're trying to decide between the two and absolutely must have coaxial out, you have to get the 91. Of course there are better reasons to get the rp91, but these little things further differentiate the high-end player from its less expensive counterparts.
Sorry, but the marketer in me couldn't let this one pass!
BTW, I'm planning to get an rp91 (price matched at sears for $235).

J

John Morris

$235??? Or, do you mean $435? Heck, at $235 I'm getting another one whether I need another DVD player or not!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Jorge, It's marketing's job to come up with that kind of logic after management and engineering has come up with features! You don't think they actually consider the marketing aspect in the process do you?

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Oops! I meant rp61. I apologize if I gave any of you crazy expectations, I know I hate it when it happens to me.
Tom: of course they do! You're thinking of the old-fashioned sales approach, where they build it first and convince the customer they need it later. Today's organization tries to understand the needs of the customer first, and then designs something to meet those needs. Well that's what they teach in B-school, anyway! :)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
I'm also very interested in hearing more about the performance of this player, especially how it compares to the Panny RV80!
------------------
- Aaron
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"
-Emo Phillips

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Timothy, the RP56 is 'less than' the RP91 in the following ways (please correct/add as necessary folks):
- No DVD-Audio support
- No DVD-RAM support
- No remastering for CDs
- No coaxial digital audio connection
- No custom picture controls with memory for 200 DVDs
- No 4:4:4 processing
- No 12-bit video DAC
- No MPEG noise reduction
- No virtual battery operation
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks