panasonic reciver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at getting this receiver (panasonic sa-he200) but the only thing that concerns me is that it says in full home theater mode it has .9 THD. In stereo mode it is only .07. Is the .9 something to worry about? I am looking at replacing my kenwwod vr 507. Is the Panasonic going to really be much better?

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Short answer to .9 dist = NO, the THD would not worry me a bit!
    It is said that anything under 1% is un-hearable to normal human ears. Is that a word?...
    The lower down the line HE-100 tested output power and signal noise at S&V with surprising results. Shown at 70 real watts per channel all channels driven 20-20 at .9 and a noise level around 70. Very good, exceding many much higher costing receivers. It matched Panasonics rated paper specs, though their wattage was given at 6-ohms 40-20.
    By rights, the Panasonic SA HE100 exceeded it's paper specs.
    The amp section in the HE-200 is said to be much stronger 130x6 and better built.
    Everyone that has bought these receivers have been very happy to this point with them.
    I've been following anything and everything I can find written about them. (My brother is looking for a cheaper silver faced bedroom receiver)...
    Also it's video switching/pass threw is said to be excellent with no visiable degrading of the video signal on any input Composite, S, Componet...
    If I messed up the S&V info someone will quickly point that out![​IMG]
    As entry level receivers the Pioneer 811, and Panasonic 100 & 200 look like no brainers with all the latest goodies for their dollar to performence ratios.
    Don't remember who, but someone here just recently picked up the HE-200 and a search may find his posts.
    Regards
    Geoff
    A search over at www.AVSforum.com will bring a number of threads up dealing with the Panasonic HE-100 if your interested.
    Panasonic press release.....July-2002
    http://www.panasonic.ca/English/news...2002051008.htm

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

`twas I who picked up the sa-he200 I don't think you cant touch the value of this receiver HUGE bang for bucks..especially if you can get over the panasonic name!!
    I did a little reading on the amp tech that they are using
    and it is supposedly an improved version of carvers amp tech..I always liked carver stuff to so go figure....

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

"un-hearable to normal human ears. Is that a word?..."
    Inaudible
    [​IMG]

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I saw the SA-HE200 at Circuit City yesterday, and YES, this is one nice looking receiver. Didn't get to hear it though.

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Daniel
    Did you buy the HE-200 on line or B&M?
    Also what finish?
    And if you don't mind saying, how much?
    Colin
    Yes, and that too! Thanks[​IMG]
    Regards
    Geoff
    Edit:
    What finish is CC stocking?

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Geoff,

The CC I visited (on Van Ness in San Francisco) is stocking the black (dark grey to me) version. Looks like it has an aluminum front face with what looks to be a metal knob for volume control. Very impressive looking, especially with the mirror finish in the front.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Danny
    CC will probley carry the Black in all their stores. Some times if both, say BB and CC have contracts for the Panasonic receivers one will carry the Black and the other will carry the Silver. This is not ALLWAYS the case but many times is.
    I've got a line on the Silver SA-HE200 bought threw a vendor friend of mine. Brand new, full factory warrenty, and for the bomb price of 298.00 delivered. This is tempting me very heavily to buy it un-seen and unheard. It would replace an 1105 Yammie thats served me very well in the bedroom.
    Would be nice to have all the latest formats and a little more juice to boot. Many people, I belive wright the new Panasonics off, (because their PANNYS)! It just can't be that good a receiver! Denon, Marantz, H/K, Pioneer 811, ect, is what you should buy even when looking to the lower end receivers, not a PANNY for gods sake. Wake up man! [​IMG]
    Well time will tell if this is a real player, as for now it certainly would appear to have the goods. And S&V's testing of the lower down the line model HE100 proved it to be a real player in the specs dept. The 200 is supposed to/and should definitly be a major step up!
    As to the Pannys sound, build quailty, reliability issues, ect, this all will take some time to come out.
    We'll shall see.....
    Regards
    Geoff

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Geoff,

If you can get the SA-HE200 for $300.00, I'd say "Go For It!!" J&R is selling the SA-HE100 for the same amount (before talking them down), but how much lower can they really go if you think about it. And the SA-HE200 looks and feels like a world apart from the SA-HE100. Of course, sound quality and reliability should be more important. If the test report in S&V is any indication, Panasonic have winners in both the 100 and the 200. Just make sure you give some room for these receivers to vent....they do get WARM. However, I have a Technics Pro-Logic receiver (with a build-in fan in the back and a Pioneer DVD-414 on top of it) that's still going strong after almost 6 years of service.

10. DanielM

11. Jeff_Blanch

Jeff_Blanch Agent

I've been trying to find out as much about these panasonic receivers as possible. Hopefully those who have them can help me out. The one thing I have not found any information on is the sub crossover. I read that it has settings for large or small speakers, but does anyone know if the crossover is adjustable, and if not, what is the set frequency? Also can anyone confirm or deny the presence of full preouts and an OSD on either the HE100 or HE200?

The HE200 is a looker. Match that with one of the new panasonic DVD changers, and that is one sweet looking set up (not that I base all my decisions on looks.)

The cheapest I've seen the HE200 for on-line has been $380. I wish I could get the HE200 for $300. Geoff, didn't you say over at avsforum that this was some special deal you got and the rest of us wouldn't be able to get it for that price?

Thanks,

Jeff

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jeff

Yes this is good friend who owns a business and is capable of getting a couple of these for me and my brother only as a favor to me. I wish I could get a handfull of them (200's) and pass the savings on but this is not possible.

1)- As far as the cross over I know nothing! Probley fixed on the 100 and a possibility of selectable on the 200. Just guessing!!!!!

2)- I think the 200 has OSD, need someone to confirm???????

3)- No preouts on either the 100 or 200!

I read somewhere Panasonic is looking into the Separates Arena and this might explain their reasoning. Force the public to buy their prepro to add to their Amps in what ever series.

Keeps us from using the 100 or 200 as a pre! This is a real pisser for me. I be on the 200 like stink on a skunk if it had preouts.

Im still waiting for more user information to trickel down....

Possibiltiy:::::::
    This was just talk and nothing was linked or presented that would prove that this is the case. This regaurding Panasonic going into the ~{Seperates Arena}~! With them droping the Technics line, I think there is a very real possibility we might see this happen.

When and if is the question....

They already have a well regarded fully digital amped receiver out. Introduced at the CES show this year. Pro reveiwers say their impressed. 100x5 in a case that less than an 1 3/4" thick and all on board Formats. Though only DPII, DD, DTS, if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on the format part.

It's was said that it's not going to be ~ not cheap!!!

Regards
    Geoff

Edit: Correction
    Aparently it dose not have fully digital amps, class D-digital amps, my bad! :b

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Geoff,
    I think you have mistaken the upcoming Panasonic SA-XR10 receiver with those high-end digital integrated amp from Sharp. The SA-XR10 has Dolby Digital, dts, and Dolby Pro-Logic II, rated at 100 watts/channel X 5 @ 10-44,000 Hz, and only 2 1/16 inches in height. The amp section use class-D digital amps.....very little heat. I guess that's why there's no vent slots on the top of the receiver.
    [​IMG]
    J&R is taking orders for the SA-XR10 for $400.00 plus shipping. Since it's a new model, I wonder how much you can talk them down in price.

14. DanielM

15. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Danny

Your right with the model you posted. Have not seen anything on this from a time frame of over 4 months ago. When I saw it and read about it on the CES pages. I was close on it's dimensions, but not close enough! :b
    This is the receiver they were showing at CES and had a suggested retail when brought to market of 999.00.... Just goes to show how prices can change drasticaly once things hit the market.

The Sharp fully digital amps I am aware of. Impressive little buggers.
    The stuff I read on Panasonic possibly make Seperates said nothing about digital Amps. Just talked of a rumor that Seperates may be made by
    Panasonic! Prepro, along with 2 & 5 channel Amps.

Some mag revewer got a hold of one of these new Super Slim Panasonic receivers and was inpressd with the units performance. Along with it's sharp looks.

-------->
    I thought this had fully digital amps in it???????
    -------->

Hope someone can come in and answer the OSD on the 200 andcrossover questions asked above. Im interested in this also!

Geoff

Edit:
    Ah I was posting when you were, see you answered the crosover & OSD question.
    Thanks

16. Jeff_Blanch

Jeff_Blanch Agent

Thanks for the info Geoff. Does anyone actually have these receivers that can check into this stuff for us? I'm about 100 miles from the closest Best Buy or Circuit City, so I can't go check them out in person very easily.

Boy, if these had preouts, OSD, and an adjustable crossover, I'd go for the HE200 in a heartbeat over a Pioneer 811, which is what I am considering. Speaking of which, does anyone have any thoughts on how these two compare? The Pioneer has got the preouts and the adjustable crossover, but how about sound? I've read some very good reports on the Pioneer's sound. How does the 200 sound? Most of their other features are very similar, but the Pioneer can be had for $300 without too much difficulty.

I just keep imagining the combo of a Panny CP67 DVD changer and the HE200 sitting under my beautiful Sony Wega. Heck, my wife even likes that idea.

Jeff

17. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jeff their so new and many are reluctant to buy a Panasonic receiver so the data and info you and I would like to see will take awhile to come forth.
    The crossover selection for small speaker user would be nice but I would prefer to see the Panny with 100, 80, 60. Think this would serve many much better. The lack of preouts really dose suck. But unless your looking to move to external Amps all that siver would look sweet.
    A tough choice for you. The 811 has got allot more info out on it, with many user posting their finding as far as sound quailty and types and brands of speaks being used.
    Power is not a problem with the Panny, I don't see it anyway with S&V's test on the lower 100. And the 200 is a MAJOR step up, so you do the math.
    I don't know where the Pioneers crossovers are so can't make a call to that. I've read that the 811 can sound thin and little week on the bottom end. But would you find this to be true, only you could answer that in home on your equipment.
    It's noise floor is excellent the (Panasonics) and with 50-MHz bandwidth HD should be no problem on pass it's thru. One poster confirms this over at AVS with outstanding picture quailty even when doing HD.
    The information is just not out their right now for the (Panasonic HE-200's) sound quailty, build, reliabilty, ect. Bright, soft, mellow, ect and when using what speaks.
    I can live without the OSD but don't like the crossover selection, to high! And the NO preouts a major bummer!
    Everything else looks great so far.
    Just have to wait for the buyer/users to post their findings. Time my little grasshopper, in time! [​IMG]
    Best of luck with your tuff decision...
    Geoff

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here's Crutchfield's page for the Panasonic SA-HE200. It should give you some more info....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's an image of the rear panel of the SA-XR10 from Panasonic's Japanese website. Damn those spring clip speaker connectors!

19. Jeff_Blanch

Jeff_Blanch Agent

Totally missed Daniel's crossover spec. That's good. At least it is adjustable, unlike many of the Yamahas. The Pioneer has the same settings, so no difference there, but yeah I wish it had some lower settings. Seems like the only negative towards the Panasonic is the lack of preouts and the potential price difference between it and a pioneer 811 (and the Panasonic name if you count that). I can live without the OSD, although it would be nice. I really don't understand, though, why every receiver cannot have an OSD. I mean almost every TV and DVD player have them. Why not receivers?

I wonder if Nebraska Furniture Mart will have both these recievers. I would prefer to do listening tests there as I think they have nicer listening rooms than BB or CC. Dang it, I may actually have to go to Omaha.

BTW, Crutchfield must have just put up that page on the HE200, because I didn't see it when I was looking around last night.

Jeff

20. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

For all interested-->
    This is the best price I've found aside from the deal my buddy can get me.
    Also they give the most information on what the receiver has and can do. At the same time do a nice job of explaining things for those who might not understand some of the newer formats and stuff the latest receivers can do.
    Everything is dealing with this unit, the Panasonic SA-HE200.
    2-channel down mix, DTSES, DACs ect. The only thing they Don't get to is that the receiver "DOSE DO DTS-NEO6" and give bandwidth.
    Nice photos of the Silver/Black & Remote along with a shot of the back of the ~{HE200's BACKSIDE}~ connections. [​IMG]
    Hope the link works!
    http://www.videodirect.com/panasonic...sa-he200k.html
    Edit:
    Ok link works now...
    Also this is a good on line vendor with excellant customer service. All products are brand new and they are certified dealers for the Brands they sell. Your warrenty will actually be good if you ever need to use it, lets hope you don't have to....