Panasonic PTL300U and VisualApex

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Harry Callaghan, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Harry Callaghan

A few months ago I decided that a front projector was the way for my home theatre to move to the next level.
    I ended up purchasing a Panasonic PTL300U from VisualApex. I had read many favourable reviews from both magazine and internet users, and decided to import one because of considerable cost savings.
    The first unit turned up here in NZ and it had one stuck blue pixel. This would not have been that big an issue if it was stuck in a corner. But this one was so close to the middle that it proved a real distraction in dark scenes. The worst example was the Fellowship chasing the blue dot in Moria. Ouch.

So I contacted VisualApex and they gave me the option of receiving a replacement unit, with no additional freight charges. It has arrived and it is PERFECT. No stuck pixels. What a difference.

Being from New Zealand I cannot say enough about how great VisualApex has been for me with this purchase. My friends are equally impressed. There are some companies here in NZ that could learn a thing or two from them. My thanks especially to Marianne Brooke.

I am extremely happy and can now look forward to many fantastic hours of a big screen at home.

For those interested, I am feeding the projector both PAL and NTSC progressive from a Marantz DV4300. My screen is a Da-Lite high contrast matte white, 92inch diagonal 16x9 ratio. The comments from family members on the money I have spent on my home theatre have died now and everyone cannot stop talking about the big screen and the quality of the picture. Fantastic.

Peace everyone.

2. Harry Callaghan

PS - I checked out the Infocus X1 and despite the nice picture it produced, I unfortunately suffer from seeing the dreaded rainbow effect. I also checked out the Sony HS10 but I found the Panasonic to not only be cheaper but have a better picture as well (IMHO).

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Congrats Harry! It was the same type deal for me. Tried the X1, ended up with the 200u. I don't watch HD so I did not need the 300u. I bought mine from ProjectorPeople.com and the service was excellent. I called with questions many times and they were great to deal with. Glad to hear you got a quick fix. Makes the deal that much sweeter when you get great customer service along with your purchase.

Any details you can share on the PQ differences between your 300u and the HS10?

Also, have you considered a DIY gray screen? I found this a much better choice over my Da-Lite Matte White. Blacks were much improved and screendoor greatly reduced w/o affecting colors or overall brightness too much.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Man, I don't even know why I read these threads. Was just over at Mr. Tolsky's house for the HTF LA meet and was blown away by his DLP projector. Now I know I can't spend that kind of cash but I started looking at the 300u as an affordable home projector. I was trying to talk myself out of buying it but hearing yours and Ron's experiences...

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Unless you watch HD and need the higher rez PJ Carlo, the 200u will make DVDs shine with a cost savings of +/- $600 over the 300u.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Carlo Medina

Thanks Ron. My dealer is an authorized Panny dealer so my difference won't be as substantial. If it were only a few hundred (like less than $300 difference) would you recommend the upgrade? Eventually I will subscribe to HD, though probably not anytime soon.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The 300u offers (of course) the higher rez, but it also has screen-door reducing technology. How well it works I do not know. I have read threads over at AVS that say it is still an issue depending on how close you are to the screen.

I did not do much research on the 300u mainly because it was out of my budget and also I did not need the higher rez. Plus, when I bought mine it came with a free 16:9 Da-Lite screen, which of course I ended up not using.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Carlo Medina

hometheaterhifi just did a review on the 300u and gave it good marks, and even mentioned the screen door reducing technology and acknowledged it may make a difference.

I'm actually in a nice place regarding SDE: I know what it is, when I get close I can see it, but from normal viewing distances I'm pretty desensitized to it, so it isn't distracting.

Thanks for the help, though!

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Carlo:

I wish I could have been there with you guys at the LA meet. David is a great guy just to hang out with and I would have loved to see his setup.

If you are going with HD I would get the 300u to help future proof yourself.

I would also wait, if you can, until after CEDIA in September. There are supposed to be a lot of new units coming out with the new "Mustang" chip for DLP with a lower price point. This will make current models drop even further in price.

In fact the NEC HT1000 has drop to around $4,300 and the Infocus 7200 can be had for around $5,000 with the $1,000 rebate that it is coming with (you have to buy this model from a local retailer though as it cannot be bought online from an authorized dealer). Then you have the Optoma H76 coming out with a list of $6,000 that has the "Mustang" chipset with 6 color 5x wheel. This will directly compete with the $10,000 models out there now.

Parker

10. Harry Callaghan

Hello Ron,

The main PQ differences I noticed with the HS10 was slightly better presentation of blacks and shadows. However I was unable to compare with exactly the same equipment unfortunately.

I should have mentioned the other big factor for me was I needed a desk set-up because our house has 11 feet high studs and with the screen being positioned in an alcove with a ceiling lower than that it would not work. So a quiet machine was also needed and I do find the 300U quiet enough to be able to sit next to or behind it - quieter for me than the HS10.

I have read about many DIY screens on this forum. It is something I will look at at some stage.

For me this projector is fantastic for the price.