Panasonic PTL200U-a question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chris rick, Jun 11, 2003.

1. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

I've been thinking of getting a projector for awhile now, and this looks sweet, especially for 1099 with shipping and a free 37.5x67 inch screen. Anyway, two questions. First, I'm assuming that the 67 inches is the diagonal widescreen image, correct? Second, a rather (I'm sure) dumb question--how would I watch tv on this thing? I'm assuming I'd need an hd box because it has no coaxial inputs, so how could I do this? Thanks!

2. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

anyone?

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Chris, you'll have to get a converter of sorts to change the signal from coaxial to composite/s-video to run to the projector...they do have them out there..just do a search on google or got to radioshacks website....

E

4. markolc

markolc Auditioning

You can also use a VCR as a channel tuner.

5. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Cool! Thanks guys....anyway, about using the vcr as a tuner, how would this work out? How is picture quality? I realize that regular cable is not the greatest anyway, but what would the differences if any be between doing the converter idea via s-video to the projector and using the vcr as tuner? Also, was I correct about my screen dimensions? Thanks again

6. Curtis H

Curtis H Extra

actually the dimension quoted for the screen is the width and height. the diagonal comes out to roughly 77"

regarding using a converter to convert from coaxial to composite/s-video or a vcr as a tuner. i can't vouch for picture quality of one vs. the other as i never seen or tried a so-called converter but using the vcr as a tuner is simple and cost-effective as i am sure you already have a vcr handy. you could then save money to buy a hd tuner box when HD programming becomes more prevalent in the future.

or you could use a cable box and connect directly to the projector (some digital cable offers selected hi-def programming) or if you get satellite service connect the satellite box directly to the projector (and get some HD programming). the options are almost limitless.

7. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Thanks for the info a lot. I'm going to bite on this projector.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You're still going to need a VCR to change channels since the PJ doens't have a tuner built in.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A VCR is a viable option. BTW, I have changed the title to "PTL200U" and not PTL2000U.

Don't expect a nice picture from broadcast cable at 77". It will be adequate. For the incremental improvement (if any) of a lousy format (broadcast cable), I would agree with Curtis and save up for future HD if you decide to go that route.

10. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Where is this deal?

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

12. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Well one thing I notice the free screen for this thing is thus a 4x3 screen I assume since it's 37.5 width by 67 height. Of course with widescreen movies and eventually hd info being my main source I'm thinking I should get an hd aspect widescreen? I was looking at something in a 45 (height) by eighty inch (width) widescreen da-lite screen, I've seen these in others ht's and like the size for my room too. One other thing, roughly what diagonal image does this 80 inch widescreen come out to then? I notice that this projector (panny PT200U) throws a 100 inch image at between a minimum of 10.2 feet and 12.1 feet, which is about where I'll be placing my projector away from the screen. I'm assuming at this throw distance that according to the specs I'd be able to fill the 45X80 widescreen (diagonal?) Thanks again!

13. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Chris: 45x80 = 92" Diagonal and looks like this:

[​IMG]

Da-Lite HCCV Perm Wall in a 12x18' room....picture taken at about 16' from screen. [​IMG]

E

14. Curtis H

Curtis H Extra

hey chris the free screen offer is actually a widescreen. 67:37.5 ratio = 16:9. in order to fill that screen the panny pt-l200u will need to be 7.5 to 9.4 ft from the screen.

15. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Thanks again guys for the help you guys have been helpful. I called and ordered this puppy today and got the free screen--I'm going to opt with the free screen for now and maybe get the larger 45x80 later. I have the throw space to do the 45x80 but it would I think border on overkill sitting about 11 feet away to view a 92 inch diagonal image! So for now the free screen will do--I am psyched about getting this!!! I have been wanting a projector forever and this deal was too good to pass up for a first projector!

One final thing re: using the vcr as tuner--to do this do I just run the incoming cable signal to the back of the vcr coax in jack and then run composite or s-video from the back of the vcr to the projector? Thanks!!!

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

17. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Neil, thanks...maybe I'll think about this then! I found a high contrast matte white wall pull down screen (da-lite model b I think) in the 45x80 size and it was like 185 plus shipping.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nice pick Chris. I've had this PJ for about a week now. I've only watched one movie, but it puts out a steller picture. I received the free screen as well and plan on ebay'ing it. It was not quite big enough for me. I am in the process of building my own 82" 16:9 screen.

Enjoy!

Peace Out~[​IMG]

19. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Ron:

How have you managed to only watch one movie with your new pj? I followed all the X1 threads here and at avsforum but couldn't convince myself to take the risk with regard to rainbows. After you posted the PT-L200U + screen deal I did some research and ordered one too. I have it set up in my basement hometheater -- the screen pulls down in front of my Toshiba 43H70 HD RPTV. Since the Panny arrived on Tuesday afternoon I've put around 14 hours on the bulb. The first DVD I watched (not counting calibrating with AVIA [​IMG]) was Moulin Rouge. Great WOW factor and plenty of variety -- dark scenes, lotsa color, motion, etc. to really put the pj through its paces. I also connect it to my Motorola 5100 for HDTV via Comcast. Watched a little bit of Ice Age on HD-HBO -- again, stunning. Then watched Far from Heaven DVD. Could have sworn I was seeing edge enhancement in a few outdoor scenes with Moore and Haysbert, but all the reviews said no EE for this DVD, so who knows? Wednesday night I watched game 4 of the NBA finals in HDTV. The SD shots were poor but everything using the HD cameras was gorgeous. Last night I watched Sum of All Fears. There seemed to be some halo-ing in the opening credits but otherwise PQ was great. I'll try to build a DIY ceiling mount this weekend. When the screen rolls up, that 43" RPTV looks soooo small.

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron