What's new

Panasonic PT47WX49 Owners, Please Help! (1 Viewer)

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Alright guys I'm making my final decisions on whether or not to purchase this HDTV. Now I'm sure that this TV has a beautiful picture when your viewing a DVD using progressive scan. but my question for PT47 owners is, how does a S-Video feed of DSS Direct TV look on this TV??? I don't have a HD receiver yet so this is crucial in my buying decision, also if any of you have a Playstation 2 how does that look also??
------------------

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Just check out my threads on this. I have the set and while 480p DVD looks very good, everything else looks terrible. And I mean everything else. Cable, Laserdisc, VHS, SVHS, even 16x9 SVHS (recorded from DVD). Laserdisc, which has to be zoomed because my entire collection is widescreen, is the biggest disappointment. Every single disc looks terrible,with noise, grain and color bleeding all over the place. They did not look this way on the Wega I had.
High Gray scale, Red Push, Green Push and SVM are culprits here. The Red & Green push can be corrected, as can Gray Scale (with ISF help).
SVM cannot be disabled. If the other problems are fixed, SVM is not as much of an issue.
I also have the "White Streak" problem (see my post in HDTV section). Sears is coming here on Friday to try and fix the red push, gray scale and White Streak problem. Maybe then this set will improve. We'll see. But if this set does not look acceptable by the the end of my first 30 days, it's going back and I will have to choose another set, which will be a major downer for me because I cannot fit anything larger than 47" 16x9 into my apartment.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Jeff Leigh

Agent
SVM can be fixed, but it involves pulling three connections (which are very, very tight) or clipping the wires. Don't know if anyone has actually done this yet.
I still can't figure out why everyone's set looks so awful on non-DVD sources. My sets picture totally depends on how good the video feed is. Some cable channels are absolute crap, while others are very close to DVD quality.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, ditto on cable. It can look decent. It can look bad. Sometimes on the same channel at different times of the day! Cable companies bite!
wink.gif

Anyway, SVM hardware disabling: I've heard and read it but have not tried it. The guys are swapping out my A board today so when the set is open I will try to take a peek inside and see what's doing...

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I still can't figure out why everyone's set looks so awful on non-DVD sources. My sets picture totally depends on how good the video feed is. Some cable channels are absolute crap, while others are very close to DVD quality.
Some cable stations look decent (Fox News Channel) when in 4:3 mode, but all look bad when zoomed or stretched.
What is really pissing me off is how God awful laserdisc looks on my set. I have a Pioneer CLD-704 and discs like True Lies, The Abyss, Titanic, Ghost & The Darkness and Akira all look grainy and NOISY as all hell! I am talking about snow blizzard noisy. Unwatchable noisy, because the Zoom feature is so bad. It adds noise, bleeds colors and, makes the picture look like VCD, because it is a digital zoom. if this cannot be altered, this set is toast for me and going back.
What kill me is that DVD looks so F'n good.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Jeff Leigh

Agent
I've gotten so used to watching everything stretched, that now it looks weird when it isn't stretched. I was at a friend's house last weekend watching a regular TV and I had totally forgotten how small the picture was and how annoying scan lines are.
I concur on the cable issues. The same channel can look great for one show and crappy for the next. Gotta love the broadcasters for this kind of 'quality'. I guess this is what you get when everyone owns TVs that hide the majority of these quality issues.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread