Panasonic PT47WX42....and what the hell is AVIA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Webb, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Hey all, I've been checking out this forum for a while now, and have decided that I'm either getting a Panasonic 47" or a Samsung 47". I'm leaning towards the Panny, and Best Buy's 12 months no-interest financing has go me hooked. Anyways, anyone have any recommendations on either, and finally, WHAT IS THIS AVIA STUFF. I know it's some sort of optimum settings for your TV, I'm sure if I searched more I'd find my own answer, but quickly can someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Avia is a calibration DVD. It walks you through all the propper connections and settings of your audio and video system to get the maximum performance and best picture quality from your gear. It consists of many test tones and images to help you set all your levels propperly.

Another calibration DVD many use is Video Essentials which is also very good and a little cheaper than Avia.

Of course some of these settings can only be fine tuned by an ISF tech which is the ultimate in TV callibration.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Both AVIA and VE are good, AVIA is considerably more user friendly, and more comprehensive.

These discs also have complete audio calibration setups.

They're hard to find in BM stores, but easily available from onling dvd retailers like DVD Empire, Laser's Edge, etc.

They aren't cheap but are well worth their cost.

Until you get one of these you can get a taste of things by using the THX Optimode setup procedure that's on many regular dvds.

4. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Get the Panny, and then check out www.panny.tv for all your tweaking needs.
    Chris

5. Michael Webb

Michael Webb Stunt Coordinator

Well I ordered the Panasonic today, thanks for all the info guys, I'm looking forward to "checking it out". I'm a pilot, and was going to buy it at a Best Buy at one of the stops I make, since there is no Best Buy where I live, HORRIFIC ISN'T IT! But when I learned Sears would price match and order it, PLUS interest-free finance it for me, it was a no brainer! Next Tuesday it should be hear, and they deliver it for free and set it up which is nice. Now all I have to do is wait for Sony to come out with their new 300 disc DVD changer, and I'll be set. Had the pleasure of viewing my friend's Kenwood Sovereign 400 changer and tuner this weekend, but he roles in the dough and I still like to consider myself "economical", so I'll wait like 2 weeks until Best Buy gets the new Sony one. I really like his touch screen controller that came with the tuner, or course his tuner was more than my TV, but hey, to each his own. Anybody have any good recs on touch screen controllers, or anything else to complete my system, or lack there of? Thanks in advance.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Pronto is the best touchscreen remotes out there. They make many different models. For hard button remote, check out the home theater master MX-500. Go to remotecentral.com for more info than you will ever need on remotes.