Panasonic PT-L500U problems!!?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by lisaBRI, Jan 31, 2005.

1. lisaBRI

lisaBRI Auditioning

Hello,
    I have been watching this forum for about 6 months now. I decided that if I was going to watch it that long I should become a member, so here I am.

I decided to get a 500u based on my 10 ft throw distance. That purchase was made in Sept 2004. Anyway I am having blue dots in the picture when the picture is dark (mostly black). The blue dots started within 2 months as one dot now there are 2 or 3 dots of blue and a newer green dot. I don't have any idea what the problem is and I am having a hard time talking to someone at panasonic about this.

I have a v2 dvd player linked via dvi, which is amazing. It is projected onto a Vutec silverstar 92" 16:9 screen. Also, DishNetwork HD and a Gamecube hooked up via Component cables. Everyone that see the Theater room that I created is begging their wife or girl friend for one. Thanks for all the great information that you all present here!

Any help would be very appreciated,
    Thank you,
    Brian

2. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

sounds like dust blobs.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I agree with Brian. I would see if you could have the lens assembly cleaned out for the dust blobs or if you feel like you can handle it there are search the forum for threads about cleaning out the dust blobs from members who own the 500u.

Parker

4. lisaBRI

lisaBRI Auditioning

Thank you very much for the info!

Brian

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    It's a very simple procedure: I've cleaned my AE500 twice now (you just need a screwdriver and a can of compressed air, available from any electronics store).

Adam

6. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Definitely sounds like dust blobs (actually curled hairs) on your blue and green LCD panels. I had a "dust blob" show up on my green panel about 30 hours into the life of the projector. It stayed there until I took the cover off and using a improvised brush and compressed air was able to rid myself of the blob.

Small particles of dust are too small to show up on the screen. At work we have Panasonic projectors that can focus down to the surface of the lens. When I turn off the lights in the room and blank the output, you can see the curled hairs. The color is dependent upon which LCD panel they wind up on.

Luckily it is not too difficult to take off the cover and gain access to the panels.

7. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Does removing the cover void the warranty?