Panasonic PT-L300 A Quick Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I was never a fan of LCD projectors because of the ‘Screen Door’ effect of the display. And I can say that it’s not an issue with the Panasonic PT-L300 (I sit 13’ from the screen). That said, here are a few words about my first impression of the unit:
    This was the easiest projector I have ever set up. You really don’t need the manual the menus are exceptional in the way they are presented on screen for set-up. Everything is logical order, and simple to navigate, as well as the connections on the rear of the unit. We are used to viewing movies in a very dark room, so I put the lamp into low power setting and used the Cinema 1 option for DVD playback via the component connectors. The image was superb from the sitting position. I used the DVD of Brotherhood of the wolf as a test because I was looking for smearing of the image during several scenes where horses were moving very fast across the screen and kicking up dust and water sprays, I never saw anything that could distract me from the story. The color produced by this unit is flawless. Greens and blues are especially rich in tone, I personally don’t like overpowering reds, red push is not a problem with this unit, and I was impressed with the contrast in dark scenes. The other really cool thing about the projector is the little remote control. This thing makes set up a snap. Other projector remotes I’ve used all suffered from a slight delay when pressing a button to the response on screen, this remotes response is immediate, and you can do everything with it. I didn’t have to point the remote at the projector the range is far and strong enough that signals bouncing around the room will activate the projector. The noise level of the projector in low lamp power mode is almost nothing; in fact the disk spinning in the DVD player makes more noise. There are a lot of other things and settings to tinker with on this projector, but you’ll have to get your own to play with if you want know more.

2. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bill.

I have been trying to decide between the Panny and the HS10. I am leaning toward the HDCP compatible HS10 but the picture of the panny being equal, the price of the panny makes the decision tough. Especially because the Panny now comes with a progressive scan DVD player. [​IMG]

3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Randy,
    The free DVD offer is nice, but the RP-62 does not have a COAX digital connector. that was a problem for me as the projector and DVD are across the room from the receiver in my home theater setup, and I never ran an optical cable, only the RCA jack cable. I just got through testing the projectors internal de-interlacer vs. a progressive source. I first looked at the display using a JVC prog. scan image of the Diana Krall DVD, the image was superb. then I turned off prog. scan and let the projector use it's internal de-interlacer, the image was just slightly softer than produced by the JVC Prog. scan source. I project a 100" screen, if you project an image say of 80" I doubt you could see any difference at all.
    I don't think there is any reason to wait for product improvements in the LCD arena if your budget is $2,000 the panasonic is awsome.

Bill