What's new

Panasonic PT-L200U vs PT-L300U (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Hi!

I am very nearly about to pull the trigger on my first FP. After months of reading various posts here and scouring the web for articles and such, I have come to the conclusion that a Panasonic LCD would suit my needs. However, I am not sure whether I should get the PT-L200U or the PT-300U. I know that the main difference between the two lies on the resolution of their displays (with most of the other specs being the same except for a 100ansi lumens difference between the two) but is that worth the price difference? I will be using this almost exclusively for DVDs with conventional cable viewing perhaps a distant second (I am unsure how to connect basic cable to these projectors!). Living here in the Philippines, I will not be able to access any HD content as ther are no current plans for its required upgrades in broadcasting infrastructure.

I have only seen the 300U in action so far and I must say that I am amazed at its picture quality (the 200U was unavailable for demo as it was not in stock). I guess, my main questions is: "When watching DVDs would it look the same on both projectors since their resolutions both exceed that of DVDs?"

If anyone has had experience with both projectors please help me out.

Thanks,
Chris

:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Regarding the cable hookup, you could always use your vcr as the tuner device by hooking up the cable tv to the vcr then connecting the vcr to the projector via a composite cable. It won't look too great compared to a good dvd though.

DavidLM

Agent
If you are going to use it exclusively for dvds there is no reason to have the extra resolution of the 300u. The 200u can resolve the entire dvd picture.

The only big advantage of the 300u then is if you are going to buy a Bravo D1 dvd player and use DVI to transfer the signal.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Can you get the Sanyo Z1? It has the same LCD panels the 300 has but is usually quite a bit cheaper. It lacks the DVI connection and doesn't have smooth scan either but its still a better machine then the 200 model IMO and nearly the same cost.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
These 2 pjs r what I'm also considering. I was thinking of waiting for the Z2 but some guys over here had me reconsider recently. Why not buy one of these kick ass machines for less money and the spend the extra cash and build an HTPC? Then maybe 2 years down the road, I can sell it and upgrade to an XGA for maybe just $1000. And I still get to use my HTPC.
But choicing between these 2 is hard work. They have their pros and cons. Consider these.....

--------------------Sanyo PLV-Z1------Pannny PTL-200U
Price(delivered)----(-)1129.00---------(+)1017.00
Resolution----------(+)1/4 HD----------(-)WVGA
Warranty------------(+)3 yrs-----------(-)1 yr
Bulb life-----------(-)2000hrs---------(+)5000hrs

So its kinda neck and neck. I have been reading on some issues i.e., early bulb failures, greenish tint, etc.,on the Z1 which I think r being reported more due to the pj's popularity. I have not read anything much on the Panny but then again, its being discontinued so not much people have it.Don't know if I got this right but, for the Z1, u need a component to VGA transcoder to enjoy progressive scan. One thing though that I can point out, one can find more info on the Z1 like contrast settings, tweaks and stuff again due to the huge number of people having it.
I'm being thrown back and forth on these 2. I have to have a projector by Monday and so far, no winner yet.
Pero pare ko, bilhin mo na! Tapos nood na kaagad at wag ka nang mag-alala. Sige ka tatanda ka bigla....

chris_clem

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies so far.

I guess I won't be needing the 300U's higher resolution for DVDs. But then now I'm considering the Z1 as well!! Desicions, desicions!:D I'll try to look for the Z1 here and how much it's selling for, maybe the price can be the tie-breaker. As it is I'm already paying MUCH more than I probably should by purchasing here, around $1900US for the 200U WITHOUT A SCREEN (Although there is minimal installation costs)!

Eric,
I see that we are in the same situation here, please update me on which FP you finally choose to get and how it works out for you. Have you seen a side by side comparison of your 2 would-be FPs? Salamat pare, baka pabili ko muna sa mga kamag-anak ko diyan dahil mas mura diyan!

chris_clem

Second Unit
Also,

Eric says the Panny is being discontinued. Which model? The 200, 300 or both? Any word on the upcoming FPs that they will be releasing to replace these models? I can wait around until probably Christmas but I would DEFINITELY want to have one before the year ends.:D

Paul Pratt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Pratt
The 200 is being discontinued, and the 300 will be replaced by a 400 and a new 500 will be released with 1280x720 resolution and is available on the internet for about 1800 bucks, just make sure you can read japanese, or you can wait until someone unlocks the other languages. The 500 will be released here in the states right after christmas.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The Sanyo Z2 is expected out the end of this month. I just purchases the Z1 and will have it on Thursday. I was deciding between the X1(which I demoed), The Z1, and Panny 200. My budget didn't fit for the Panny 300/500 or Z2. I chose the Z1 because of the lense shift, higher resolution, I only paid $100 more than the Panny 200 would have costed me...

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I thought the 500 is replacing the 300 and I don't know if the 200 is being replaced. I don't know of a 400 comig out at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks