Panasonic PT-AE900U or Optoma HD72???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim Glover, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Hey. Need some advice. These are probably the most highly reviewed projectors in their price class. They are also among the highest rated projectors well above their price too. [​IMG]...I have owned 2 Panasonic LCD projectors in the past & had some quality control issues. However the 900u is really a sweet pj. The Optoma is a DLP pj that is brighter and is noted to have excellent color.

Both are native 720p units.

Most reviews I've read seem to like them both. Both have some minor weaknessess the other one doesn't possess and the same for their strengths.

The Panny does have more flexible range in regards to placement. This is a cool feature and can be placed in the back of the room etc...The Optoma is more restricted in terms of placement.

Prices are nearly the same right now with both having rebates that expire August 31. The Optoma is $168 more.

Give me some of your thoughts guys. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Need some wisdom from my HTF brothers! [​IMG]

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I went with the AE900 because of its flexability in mounting. It has been the best purchase since my HD DirecTivo.

-Robert

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Optoma is nice, but the color decoder is screwed up and cannot be fixed from the user menu. Don't bother with blue filters trying to set things up ... will give bad results.

Panasonic is also a nice unit but softer in image quality and it still has the non uniformity of color issues that all LCD projectors seem to share which bugs me a lot.

Regards

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'm glad you chimed in Michael and was going to try and send you a PM but didn't want to be a bother. I usually am. [​IMG]

So it seems you're not a big fan of either of these? I was hoping to stay in that $1500 after rebates $ #'s but...

Am also considering a DLP rear projection unit too. But I really, really miss my front projector size screen. [​IMG]

Do you have other Pj recommendations? The IN76 from Infocus seems to be a good one...

Thanks [​IMG]

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The Sanyo Z4 is also highly regarded.

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I would buy the Infocus IN76 before either of those. Unless you are sensitive to the DLP rainbow effect.

8. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

I have the HD72, bought it last week from ProjectorPoint. It came with the $300 rebate, and a free replacement bulb, shipped free. As of this week, they still had a few bulbs left, so that might help you in you decision.
    I posted some pics of it in action at:
    http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/IkariWarrior/

So far I'm loving it. It has great contrast, nice blacks and bright colors, plus 2 digital inputs which is nice. I'm sure they could be tweaked like Michael said, but out of the box I'm very satisfied. Hope that helps!

9. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Mits with the same chip as the optoma is a better performer than the 72. Price point is similar ... although the mits is a bit more.

(I don't really like the Sanyo Z4 either though. [​IMG] For some of the same reasons as the Panasonic ... although it can be tweaked better than the Panasonic. )

Regards

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Flip a coin, bro. You're going to be happy wither way. There is no argument for either the HD72, the AE900U or the Z4 that's going to knock the others out of the water.

I'd bet you that whichever you decide, you are going to be pleased with the performance you get for the amount you spent.

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Nice pics Jason. [​IMG]

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am going to wait. Really don't have the $$ anyway right now in terms of a new pj, and screen, and other variables needed to do it right.

Think I am going to get a rear projection DLP unit....then later on go back to the world of front projection ala 1080p. I can wait for that. [​IMG]

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

you really have to wonder how the market is going to shake out in the weeks and months after CEDIA and the introduction of $5000 and under 1080p LCDs and SXRDs, and well under $10K 1080p DLPs.
    I'm getting ready to sell my 3 yr old pj now, and won't be getting a replacement until late Oct when I'm finally done with work for the year. But when I'm done, I want to jump on something. I can't stand being without a projector for very long- especially with limited stretches of home/down time.

I'm looking at something now that was around $7-8K at the begining of the year and now is at $4k...but that still seems about $1K too high with all the 1080ps around the corner. Every 3 months its had a steady $1K price drop so I'm hoping another month and a half and it will hit range just too hard to pass up.

If you can stand the wait Tim, eventually you'll be rewarded- Big advances means the old tech should be getting set to go real cheap now.

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I hear ya Paul. Cedia is just about 2 weeks away and we should have a pretty good idea of whats on the horizon.

I've also pretty much deleted these from my list too [​IMG]...looking at another DLP unit that has better overall image and like your PJ you're monitoring....also coming down in price. It's the Mits HC3000. Coming way down....[​IMG]

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yup. I was gonna mention that one. Dave (Mack) seems pretty high on his, and I don't think I've seen any posts of any problems with it yet. The throw doesn't work in my set-up, otherwise I might have been inclined to go that way as well.

Unfortunately just in the last week, I've started to see several posts crop up that give my pause on my original choice. Even one of the primary proponents of it is indicating that he is now getting 'flickering' at times.
    Arghhh.
    Seems like every projector I look at or consider has some issue (the Samsung 710 & The Optoma 7100 we're two others I had to cross off my list because of reliability issues).
    WTF is going on with these things? Maybe I'll be lucky if no one buys my old one.

15. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I think there are some tradeoffs for nearly every HT gear we buy though Paul. Don't let something that you may not ever experience deter you from what you really want. [​IMG]

Yes, the HC3000 does have some rather glaring limitations to placement. If I go that route, I'll be taking some risk but will find a way to make it work.

Obi Wan Timobi WILL make it work. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Heard and read great things about the Opt. 7100...

16. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I saw it at a local dealers, and even for his price ($3K) I thought it looked excellant. Online prices are even better. Only problem was it took him about five minutes of jiggling around with various connection to get the thing to even fire up the first time, and the second time I tried to see it, it wouldn't ignite at all- it would just go into stand by mode and then shut off again. Given the widespread problems reported with the lamps in the H78/79s, and comments questioning the quality control of the entire Optoma line, I would just feel uncomfortable going with it at this point.
    Did throw a hell of a pic though.

Just saw a very favorable review on the Sharp z3000. unfortunately again the placment/throw looks like a PITA, and its also supposed to be a bit louder than most.

17. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I know I am coming in a bit late for the "dance" but if given the decision between a RP unit and a FP unit......I would go FP all the way...... actually let me correct that. A lot will depend on it's uses. If you plan on using it for movies and a little bit of TV, like major sporting events, then go FP. If it is your main display device get a RP. Bulbs in RP last longer on average and you do not have to worry about light control. However, a RP has no "cool factor". I have a buddy who spent $2,500 on his Mits 52" RP unit and it is a great set. Where do you think we all get together for movie night, super bowl, world series etc...? My house on my $800 Infocus 4805 FP.......

I am not a TV watcher so I have my 27" flat tube set for stuff like the news and any useless TV show that I may watch along the way. I can't honestly think of ANY TV show that I would want to see bigger than 27". For movies and the other good stuff I drop the 96" screen.