Panasonic PT-AE900U and PAL/NTSC conversion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joel Stein, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Joel Stein

Joel Stein Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes...

I'll be getting my first projector soon, and I'm eyeing the Panny AE900U. I see from its specs that it appears to be able to handle PAL/NTSC/SECAM. Does that mean I wouldn't need a dvd player that does the conversion? I'm in the US but I have a few PAL discs. Presently I use a Cyberhome 500 which converts. But when I get the projector I think I'll get a new player. Assuming I can get around region coding issues, can I pop a PAL disc in a typical US dvd player, expect it to pump an unconverted PAL signal to the projector, and have the projector do the work?

Thanks.

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

You need both regardless of the display you still need a player that will play PAL.

3. Joel Stein

Joel Stein Stunt Coordinator

So are the specs saying that the Panny will handle a PAL signal from a PAL player, an NTSC signal from an NTSC player, and a SECAM signal from a SECAM player, but cannot interconvert?

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I don't know if it will or not. I'm going on what you said the specs states. You might have to contact Panasonic.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    My gut feeling is that the projector will take NTSC, PAL and SECAM signals. Hopefully it identifies them automatically. If that is the case, the ideal solution is to find a player plays all formats and regions and is able to output them automatically in their original form, thus eliminating the disadvantages of converting. I know such players exist, but have no idea which ones.