Panasonic PT-AE700U or Dell 2300MP?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by lyndaCW, Nov 29, 2004.

1. lyndaCW

lyndaCW Auditioning

Nov 19, 2004
    Anyone have thoughts on either of these? I've read different articles and it seems the panasonic is great for watching DVD in the dark but might not be good for watching Basketball games with people in dim light.
    The Dell seems to put out some light so you don't have to watch everything in the dark but the contrast isn't so good from what I've read and it gets really hot!
    Does anyone have any insight? This is really a hard decision, as soon as I think I want the panasonic, I read something that makes me think the dell would be better.

I'm confused!! There's so many choices and I don't know which way to go.

Anyone out there have a dell? How do you like it? Pros and Cons?

Thanks for any input
  2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Feb 11, 2004
    It depends on what you mean by dim light. If your room will not be reasonably dark, you will not be happy with a front projector. You should also read the review on the Sanyo Z3 at I think it's a little brighter than the Pan. 700.
  3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Jan 11, 2004
    I just got the panasonic 700 last week. My room is light controlled with black walls. It is watchable with the lights on. Not great, but watchable. With lights dimmed it's fine for watching TV.
    Keep in mind that if you have white walls and ceilings, the projector will light up your whole room pretty good, so you might not need the lights on at all.

Jim the 700 is rated at a 1000 lumens and the Z3 is rated at 800. After calibration, both are very close though. Can't go wrong with either one.