Panasonic PT-56WX42 vs Toshiba 57HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

Jul 30, 2001
    Can someone comment on the Panasonic PT-56WX42 vs. the Toshiba 57HDX82? My main considerations are as follows:

1. Good stretch modes - I will be watching a lot of 4:3 material.

2. Detail - 480p upconversion is a minus on the Toshiba. Also the reported ghosting problems have me concerned.

3. Price - ~$2500 max

Also considering...

Mitsubishi WS-55411 - This would be the perfect set for me because it is made to for built-in installations and does native 480p. The only hesitation here is that the stretch modes are supposedly not very good.

Pioneer SD-533HD5 - Meets all of my requirements, but the screen size is on the small size for the money.

Sony KP-57WV600 - Seems to meet my requirements, but I can't find much positive feeback on Sony RPTVs.

I know I need to look at these in person, but no store has them all side-by-side properly calibrated, with consistent source and lighting, thus your real world input is highly valued!
  2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Sep 4, 2001
    I would go with the Toshiba. I bet you won't even notice the 540p conversion. Another good thing is that the Tosh has DVI built in already.
  3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Jan 1, 1999
    I agree with Juan. The 540p upconversion is really a non-issue.

That said, the Panasonic is also reputed to be an excellent RPTV.

IMO, you might as well choose on the basis of styling, size, and the deal you get. You'll love whichever one you buy.