Panasonic PT-53WXD63. Is it worth the extra money for the extra features????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Gregory, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking into the panasonic pt-53wx53 for some time now. My question is: Is the wxd63 series worth the extra 400 bucks. It has the built in atsc HDTV tuner and 165 point digital convergence compared to just 64 point on the wx53 model. It has the HDMI interface and a few more features.

1. Do those that have a built in HDTV tuner like having it?

2. And do those that do not have a built in HDTV tuner, do you wish you had one?

I like the idea of being able to get my local HD channels without any other equipment or antennas. Is this something worth paying 400 bucks more for.

I can get the pt-53wxd63 for $1955 delivered. Compared to $1455 for the wx53 model.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting my HD through Comcast, so they supply the box. I don't think a built-in tuner is worth the extra dollars unless you know that you'll need the box right away (Cable HD requires that you use the box they supply). It wouldn't cost much more to buy a separate external box, and then you'd get to choose which one you wanted instead of going with the one that Panasonic deemed proper for the set. I know a few people who sprung for built-in tuners, only to have them go unused...

I have the 53wx53 and am fairly pleased with it mainly because I got a great deal, which seems to be this line's biggest selling point - they're really good bangs for the buck.

If you're willing to spend upwards of $2,000, I'd ditch the Panasonic and go for a brand with a better reputation for reliability and PQ.

3. Daniel_James

Daniel_James Auditioning

I was just looking into the same tv's at circuit city, they offer the WX53 for $1425 and the WXD63 for $1575. For these prices, I think the WXD63 is worth it.

4. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Daniel, those prices must be for the 47 in model. If they aren't then those are some really good prices for the 53". I was looking at the 53".