Panasonic PT-53WX53 questions and alternatives

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Geoff S, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Its been a while since I have been active in this forum, but HDTV, which I have held off on for some time, is catching my eye. Currently on my setup I'm using a Panasonic 32" Superflat TV.

I was looking at the Panasonic PT-53WX53, and it has a very nice image from my initial viewing, but a few things that have caused me to questions this set:

1). I've read in this forum that it won't do 720p natively, but will rather convert it to 1080i. I want to be able to do both modes natively, and not have to convert on to the other, because both have their advantages and disadvantages and I want both. So is it true, this set won't display it?

2).This set has DVI-HDCP, but now there is a newer HDMI-HDCP interface (keep in mind I've been out of it for a while). If the difference simply the ability to transfer audio too, or is there more to it?

3.) I hear yes and no on whether this set has 3:2 pulldown. Whenever I get a new DVD player I will make sure it has 3:2 pulldown as well as progressive scan. So I wont really need it on the HDTV, but just want to clear it up.

4). This set is supposed to have 850 lines of resolution, so it wouldn't display a true 1080 lines of resolution anyhow right? I'm looking for one that will.

The price is nice at $1,699 and less if the right deal is struck, but the 720p issue is enough to steer me away. I'm looking for features, the 53" size max (48" min), all displays (480p/720p/1080i), and stunning post convergence/calibration picture. This post is getting a little lengthy so I'll conclude it by asking for feedback and alternative RPTVs only (no $$$ for good plasma or DLP sets yet). Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Only a very, very few displays can provide both 720p and 1080i native. Very few, and the Panasonic is not one of them. As for a DVD player with "2:3 pulldown and progressive scan," you cannot have 2:3 pulldown without progressive scan. I believe the Panasonic RPTV has 2:3 pulldown as well (almost certainly).

And if you're looking for a display that can resolve all 1080 lines in an HD image, prepare to shell out at least $20K. Toshiba's LCoS RPTV (which is on a temporary production hold due to issues Toshiba is having with vendors) can resolve all 1080 lines but will set you back twenty grand. The only direct-view displays that can do this are all professional studio monitors costing in the $20K-$40K range. And then there are the nine-inch, CRT-based front projectors which can resolve all 1080 lines; prices for them start in the $40K range.

3. Geoff S

I've been spending a little time looking through other models and doing some research while waiting for the turkey to burn... I mean cook, and found a few other things:

I like the Pioneer Elite RPTVs, although they are close to going extinct forever. The PRO-530HD and PRO-530HDi (what's the difference anyhow???) have caught my eye. The specifications say 1150 lines (Video Input) for horizontal resolution. Does this mean true 1080i or not? Here is the website for this product. A very nice $2,999 at Home Theater Store, and $3,499 at tweeter.
    http://www.pioneerusa.com/pna/produc...etailComponent

I also checked out one of Sony's models, the KP-46WT510. It is even cheaper than the Panasonic, but is smaller too, only 46" compared to 53". However it claims to be able to display 1080i and 720p. $1,599 at tweeter. The website is here:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ntentItemPage=

A little food for thought.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Geoff

As Jack has stated none of those sets will do 1080i (full resolution) and not even close to 720P. They will accept both frequencies but the output is somewhere around 925 lines, due the limitations of the CRT guns. 720p is accepted and converted to 1080i by the sets that you mentioned

regards

Gregg

5. Geoff S

Thanks Jack, ang Gregg for the insight. Naturally paying that much for the real deal is not possible, soI'll go for the best thing I can find in my price range.

I'm deciding I need to go with a 46" model anyhow cause 53" will be too big for my space.

After looking through the Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba I'm kind of at a draw until I can do some side by side comparisons, but I must ask the old age question of which do you guys think is better between these particular ones.

Toshiba 46HX43
    Sony KP-46WT510
    Panasonic PT-47WXD63

The Panasonic is a little shady to me cause of 480i/p upconverted to 540p, not sure whether this is a big pro, or major con.

#1 thing I'm looking for is video quality from DVD, video games, HDTV, and SDTV.

6. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

This is my opinion only, but I was shopping for sets in the 46"to 48" range . I purchased the Sony 46wt510 and am extremely happy with my purchase. The price has recently dropped to $1499 but be prepared to shell out an extra $199 for the matching stand. For the same price you could step up to the Sony 51ws510 and not have to pay for a stand. I still prefer the 46wt510, I think it's a best buy in the 46"to 48" size range. It looks fantastic with progressive scan dvd's and HDTV , looks decent with SDTV. I can't comment on games but I imagine it would do fine there as well.

7. Geoff S

Thanks for the recomendation, I'm leaning towards the Sony anyhow, but its nice to hear what others have done in comparing these 3 models. I'm still looking for any other opinions so please post away, a new TV is always a big step [​IMG]

BTW, Chris, does that stand, if you bought one, have enough room to hold two devices, such as a Receiver and DVD player, or just one? I'll probably have to buy it regardless to raise the TV to an acceptable height, but I'm just wondering. Thanks.

8. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Geoff, The shelf is adjustable. I've got a lasedisc player on the bottom about 7" room. The laserdisc get's little play , I think I just keep it for sentimental reasons. The top shelf is around 4 1/2 inches and houses the Outlaw monoblock that drives my SVS 25-31CSI. I'm gonna quit squawking about the Sony , but I compared everything in it's range and do feel I got the most for my money . Good luck with whatever you choose. HD widescreen is awesome and I'd recommend anyone to take the plunge. Best upgrade I've ever made.

9. Geoff S

Chris, I had one more non related question to what this post was originally about. I sent it to you via PM.

10. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I am considering this TV (PT53WX53) and some others metioned in this thread (Sony KP51WS510 and Hitachi 51F500A and Mitsubishi WS-55313 and the Toshiba 51" model). I have a few general questions that apply to all of these models.

First, does any of these lock into FULL mode when receiving a progressive signal? I would suspect not, but I know some older models did this, so I want to check to be sure.

Second, does any of these do a 14:9 zoom for 1.66:1 non-anamorphic movies?

Third, on some of the models (Sony, Hitachi) there is an auto convergence mode. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it helpful or just a gimick? Is it hard to do the manual convergence?

Do all of these models have a DVI interface?

Are there any other models that I should be considering in the same price / size range?

Thanks

11. Lance_H

Lance_H Extra

I have bought the PT-53WX53 and I cannot advise someone to buy this TV. I had to exchange the first one 10 days after I bought it because the picture turned red. I did some reading and found out the older models had problems with a "Evil Pop" which I will not get into. Don't get me wrong, the picture is great when it is working. But, now I have a repair tech coming to my house again because the new set has turned blue this time. I have had this one for about 60 days. This time it is outside the 30 day window for exchange and if the same thing has happened I am going to loose the TV for about a week or so for repair. Two more times and the lemon law kicks in and I will not replace it with the Panny again.

I loved the picture on this set, and thats why I bought it. But with the trouble I have had on 2 different one's I cannot recommend it to anyone. What good is a great picture when it is in a shop, not your home?

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Do the Mits still have problems with red push? I am leaning on the Mits 55 or Sony for next year. Also, is one or the other better for DVDs? DVD will be my number one priority.

Greg or anyone else, what do you think? Thanks.

13. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I've had the PT53WX53 for a couple of weeks now. I got a really good deal on the set and couldn't pass the money I'd save by getting the Panny instead of another model.

First impressions are a little neutral. I had to send the first set back because of an issue with the power supply, and I sent a second set back because of a barely noticeable bright spot that manifested itself on really clear 1080i material (looked like something was reflecting off the mirrors wrong).

Turns out that the third set has the same bright spot under the same circumstances, which leads me to believe that it could be the HD signal I'm getting from Comcast and not the set itself. I haven't figured out the root cause, but have decided that the issue is too minor to go to any more trouble with another return or exchange.

Having tweaked settings with Avia through the user menu only, I'm getting a very satisfactory picture for DVD and an outstanding picture with HD sources. From what I've heard, these sets are also supposed to respond very well to full-blown ISF calibrations, meaning that the potential for a great picture is there.

On the downside, the built-in scaler is a little less than capable. Only the strongest standard cable signals show really clearly, with the rest coming in a touch fuzzy. There's also been some buzz about reliability on the Pannys that would merit concern for a "non-techie" end-user (e.g., the evil pop has happened to a number of people, but it's supposed to be fairly easy to fix DIY if you're comfortable with that sort of thing)

Bottom line - I'm not unhappy by any means. I think I got a great value on a good TV. However, if the price difference between this set and another were less than three or four hundred bucks, I'd probably rethink and spend a little more cash to get something that handles standard cable a bit better, without as many potential issues around the mechanicals.

14. Paul Z

Paul Z Extra

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I'm on my second 53wx53 and after a week I'm seeing some green where I shouldn't. I too am really happy with the picture this set displays, and for the price you can't beat it, but how many lemons are they sending out of the factory? I'm already worried that I'm gonna have to send this one back before the 30 days is up. I hate to do it but it took 6 months to get my first replacement from Panasonic cause I waited past the 30 days but since I've been down this road before, this time it will be easier...I guess

Paul

15. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

16. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

What is the "Evil pop" and what is the easy fix?

17. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I don't remember the exact link to the panny tv site, but do some searches on Panasonic or evil pop and I'm sure you'll find here or at the AVS forum.

The pop is a malfunction with the CRTs where one of the colors becomes dominant and tints the entire picture. The fix is to simply take the cover off the TV and dial back the intensity of the gun until the picture gets back to normal. The hard part is making sure you don't mess anything else up while you're in there.

18. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Basically, when the 'evil pop' happens, one (or more) of the guns goes 'hyper'. If your green gun pops, everything has a green tint to it because the green gun is more intense than the blue and red guns.

The fix is really easy. Just a matter of opening up the front, and turning down the offending gun. You have to get a grayscale image up on the screen and eyeball it.

There is a way to fix it through the service menu too, but both times I felt it was just as easy to adjust the guns.

19. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

the panny 53wx53 will just give you a black screen when a 720 line input is fed to it. no conversion.

other than that, which is not a problem for me, its been a wonderful set.

ag.

20. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

I have the 47wx53 and I think it's incredible. HDTV and DVD shine on this set, especially after you take the time to calibrate it and do a 64-point convergence.

However, the aspect ratio control is finicky (only works with certain signal types) and standard-def signals look TERRIBLE. Not sure whether it's Dish, the display, or the source material, though.