Panasonic PT-53WX52 or Toshiba 50HDX82?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I was planning on getting a Mitsubishi 55411, but just realized I wont be able to get it into my viewing room-so now I am pondering the Pany 53wx52 or the toshiba 50hdx82 & am looking for some advice on either. Thanks!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I was just looking at a Panny 47" Monday and the sales rep pointed out to me that it didn't have the screen protector built in. He then showed me the 50HDX82 which does have the screen protector.

I also was a little more impressed with the picture on the TOSH.

I'm sure there are other differences, but I just thought I'd throw it out there, especially if you have a little one like I do.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Panny: Deeper than the Tosh, which looks like it could be an issue for you. Generally not as good a picture out of the box but can be tweaked/ISFed into near perfection. Screen protector is an option for more money.

Tosh: Upconversion limits the sharpness in tests, though you're not likely to notice it in real world viewing. Very nice color, good out of box picture, easy to tweak. Screen protector is built in but it adds glare, so some people remove them. May have "ringing" issues.

Kind of hard to go wrong!

Jan

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i looked at a tosh and panny side by side at tweeters the other day, and i know it was a store display, but the tosh looked a lot better to me.

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Actually, things have changed with this generation of Panny's. The WX42 and WX52 series have much much better out of the box calibration. It's far closer to D65 out of the box. The older WX49 series had horrible out of the box calibration.

The newer WX42 and WX52 also have much improved scalers. You'll notice the difference with NTSC television.

7. Dann B

Dann B Auditioning

I know this thread is probably over and done with (it's been a month since last post) but I thought I'd just point out that the poster asked about the 53WX52 and some people responded that it doesn't have the screen protector, but that is incorrect. The 53WX42 doesn't have the protector, the 53WX52 does (AS2 screen protector), so far I've only seen the 53WX52 (which I bought) at 1 store, the rest (including best-buy) only has the 53WX42. According to the manual, the only other difference that I can see is a different remote control with some more options.

8. Kyle W

Kyle W Extra

Dan:

I'm considering the 53WX52 but have yet to see a "52" series Panny in person, as all my local B&M only stock the 42's and want to sell you an aftermarket sheild (actually Sears carries the 53WX52 but doesn't have it on display).

How does the AS2 screen protector look? Does it have any glare reducing properties or is just a sheet of plexi?

9. Ken D.

Ken D. Extra

The 53wx42's that I saw in 2 different CC's looked like absolute crap. The one I pulled out of the box at home looks pretty darn good. I made the mistake of comparing displays at the store and made the wrong choice the first time around.

10. Dreama Slay

Dreama Slay Auditioning

Well the main differences between the WX42 and the WX52 is that the 52 series does have the screen protector and also has 4 speakers compared to the two speakers that the WX42 has.

Kyle W. The screen that comes on the WX52 is very reflective. The after market actually has better glare reduction than the standard and at least gives you the option of removing it whenever you feel the need will no hassles.