Panasonic PT-47WX49 Vs. Toshiba TW40X81. Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhilM, Nov 16, 2001.

1. PhilM

PhilM Extra

I was originally going with the Panasonic due to the price/features that is has, and also all the reviews I've been reading lately. But when i took a trip to my local 6th Ave and the toshiba caught my eye.
    Granted the screen is smaller, but the picture looked great. I was very impressed.
    So my main question is this, which one offers a better quality picture? Is there another model i'm overlooking?
    And another thing that worries me is that i've heard that on the panasonic, it is very susceptable to burn ins on the screen? anyone have any problems with this?
    And lastly, anyone connect their computers to one of these? how did it look? better than your monitor?
    as you can see, i'm new here, but any comments will help
    Thanks guys,
    Phil

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I had my PT-47 ISF'd and it looks pretty darned good. Truth is that anyone getting an RPTV should have it ISF'd. The guy who did it, I asked him what he would recommend in this price range and he said Toshiba by a small margin, with Panasonic a close second. He didn't like the Mits sets since the new ones lock out a lot of the advanced features.
    Toshiba will render a better picture out of the box, but after proper calibration it should be a toss up. After that, it's just which one has the bells and whistles that you like. Spend time at a local store and play around with both before making your decision.

3. PhilM

PhilM Extra

How much does an ISF cost? And do i ask the place i buy it from to recommend a certain ISF guy, or will the yellow pages do? anyone know anyone good in the north new jersey area?

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

ISFs run about $250 for grey scale, $400 for full calibration. All ISF techs are NOT created equal. I would recommend going to http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/ and read up on it. Also there's a place there where people organize road trips for great ISF'ers to go across the country. But in the northeast you should have a few options there.
    Good luck!