Panasonic PT-47WX49 or Mitsub. WT-46809?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Fucich, Dec 17, 2001.

1. James Fucich

James Fucich Agent

Need help deciding on which is the superior TV. The Panasonic pt-47wx49 or Mitsubishi wt-46809? I’ve been looking at these two units. Side-by-side they both look good. The salesman says the Mitsubishi is built better. However, the Panny looks great, and I don't have to purchase a separate stand. It also has some nicer features...and claiming to have glass mirrors instead of plastic. However, the Mitsubishi claims 1200 lines of res. help. I would like some insight on the real performance of these two units.

Thanks for the help,

James

2. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

HI I WAS LOOKING AT THE SAME TWO UNITS ...... ACTUALLY THE PANNY 47-51 .... I ENDED UP GETTING THE PANNY ... CONTRAST LOOKED A LITTLE BETTER .... TO ME ... THEN AGAIN ITS TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE .... OTHER THAN THE TWO FEATURES YOU JUST MENTIONED .... AND "THE MITSUBISHI PROMISE" .... NOT MUCH I CAN CONTRIBUTE .... IT JUST CAME DOWN TO AESTHETICS AND THE LARGER SCREEN .....

3. MarkJH

MarkJH Extra

I thought the Mits looked good too. But the Panasonic appears to be a better value.

Exactly what good is 1200 lines of resolution anyway? I don't know of any upcoming standard that will be requiring it. Sounds good though. The Panny also does not do 720p, I don't think of that as being a bad thing though.

Mark

4. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

James,

Be careful with advertised resolution numbers. Those figures can be manipulated any way the company wants as there is no standard on how to measure resolution.

5. JamesMills

JamesMills Auditioning

I myself was just in the store the other day comparing the Panasonic pt-47wx49, Panasonic pt-47wx51 and the Mitsubishi wt-46809. I have been researching the pt47wx49 because of its great price tag, but then was looking at the 47wx51 cause of the protective screen, the Mitsubishi was sitting right next to the pannys so i started looking at it as well. All three TVs looked great, i didn't like the idea of spending an extra $300 for the stand for the Mitsubishi, and when i asked about the protective screen on the PT-47WX51 the sales guy gave the screen a full force hit dead center of the screen with his fist and nothing happened. I think my decision is being moved from the 47wx49 to the 47wx51. I do have a kid and you never know with kids. Still doing some comparison shopping, don't want to rush into anything this big and get a bad deal. I'm sure i can find it cheeper online and have a bargining tool to use when i go in to buy it.

6. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

No doubt in my mind that the Mits is a better TV. That said, the Panasonic is probably a better value. I had a Panasonic 56" that I traded in for a Mits 65". I decided that quality was worth a couple of hundred bucks.