Panasonic Projector Reliability

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ray tubach, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I got a call from a vendor saying the reliability and service from Panasonic is horrible and recommended the Z4 over the 900U. He also said they are having lamp life issues. anyone have any input on that?

He also said that the Z4 is brighter and sharper and in my room (14x18) that it would be a better picture.

I'm trying to decide between the Panny 900U and the PLV-Z4. assuming that with the Z4 incentive of a free bulb, and the $400 rebates + $300 Blockbuster rental promotion on the Panny, they would seem to be about even in cost.

So with only a few hours hours left before the special incentives expire I'm still undecided which to get. Anyone care to take a try at convincing me which one is best for my needs?

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've not heard anything about the Panny; I've not had any trouble with my projector (about three generations older than the 900.)

Leo

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I originally purchased a Panasonic PTL-200u in June of 2003 only to have it's color go bonkers within a few months. It couldn't be fixed so Panasonic sent me a new 300u. It's been great...up to now. I have a purpleish blob on the right lower part of the screen. Can't really notice that much except for bright scenes or lighter ones. Or when watching a 2.35:1 film then it's not an issue. But still, if this thing gets bigger, I'm screwed.

I have loved my projector though. It's been really good for the $$ I spent and it's made movie watching truly an experience. That being said, I won't be buying Panasonic next time.

4. timNGY

timNGY Stunt Coordinator

Ray,

Does that same vendor also carry the Panny projector. Maybe he's pushing his preferred vendor.

5. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

yes, he carries both but says the Panny has more problems by far. I don't know what to think at this point, I was all set to order the Panny 900U

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Panny did have some issues with bulbs. A lot (I would almost be willing to bet all) of AE700 owners experienced a pretty big drop in the brightness of the bulb after the 500 hour mark. Most people experienced at least a 40% drop. Obviously with ANY FP you are going to have brightness go down after awhile but a 40-50% drop at around 500 hours or less is extreme. I also have heard that Panny has not the best customer service but that is isolated. AFAIK the 900 has a 1 year waranty and the Z4 has the 2 or I think maybe even a 3 year waranty. I have not heard anything negative about customer service issues regarding a z4 or from the manufactor at all. They did have bulb issues with the Z1 but that obviously was a long time ago.

I have seen both projectors in action and would opt for the Z4 myself. I like the lens and lens shift a HELL of a lot better than the Panny and I thought colors were nicer too. I also like the sharper picture of the Z4.....I am not a Panny smoothscreen technology fan. With all this said they are both FANTASTIC FP's and you really can't go wrong with either one....we all have our preferences. Honestly my preference is DLP all the way and would not get either one if it were my money LOL [​IMG]!!

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Zero issues here

8. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

To be fair there are a few topics over at AVSforum dedicated to Sanyo support horror stories, just do a search over there to find them. I think every company has their share of bad incidents in customer support - some alot more than others though.