What's new

Panasonic Projection tv issues. (1 Viewer)

mosco2008

Auditioning
Real Name
maxwell
Hello people,

Hopefully someone here can help me out, I have been looking every where.

I recently got a (Panasonic PT-53WX53 53-Inch Widescreen) projection TV from a family member. This is the first time owning a projection TV so, I'm not sure if the following issues are common with age of the set.

Issues:

Images appear to be dull - not verry bright
Images ghost/streak through the set
Rainbow effects in the bottom right and left of the set.

I looked into the convergance and the colors seem to be aligned, no bluring.
Oddly enough when using a HD Source such as my dvd player the colors dont ghost/streak.

Menu has ghosting off to one side, and green bleeds off the options menu

This is a white image that is dull and not verry vibrant - tv has its brightness maxed out, images or screnes that are dark are hard to make out.

Thank you for your time

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi there - welcome to the forum!

Did the previous owner have any of these problems with the set?

Being a CRT-based set, dimming over time is to be expected. Unfortunately, unlike newer LCD and DLP-based sets, there isn't one bulb that can easily be replaced, there are three CRT "guns" that are expensive and require a certified technician to replace.

Does the ghosting/streaking only happen for the cable/satellite input? If so, how is that connected to the TV - coaxial cable, or do you have a set-top box? If it's coaxial, then you really don't have any options, but if you're coming from a set-top box, have you tried different inputs?

You've checked the convergence, which is good. Aside from that and basic picture setting tweaks, I'm not sure there's much more you can do yourself. Opening up the beast is not recommended - those CRTs pack a lot of voltage and can be dangerous.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck, though.

mosco2008

Auditioning
Real Name
maxwell
Thanks for the response,

I contacted the Panasonic CS and this is what they told me

It could be signs of one of the CRT's going bad.
It could be that it simply needs a focus pack which regulates the focus and
the brightness of each picture tube.
Being as how the tv weighs a ton, im not moving it anywhere, just gonna stick through it until i can get a Plasma or LCD . Currently im using a coaxial connection and a S-Video connection to test the signals from a Digital Cable box, going to be getting a HD cable box soon since the Component-in looked nicer on the set from the dvd player since it was a hd source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks