What's new

Panasonic Plasma's aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

BrianScott

Auditioning
My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PX50U HD Plasma. I'm on Comcast digital and use a cable card (no cable box). I'm concerned about potential burn-in. Here's my question:

I prefer to watch the HD version of stations which broadcast in both HD and analog (example: CBS), obviously because the picture is better in digital HD.

But most programming (especially away from primetime hours) is not in HD, which places gray bars on the sides of the screen. And unless I'm unaware, this Panasonic will not allow you to change the aspect ratio when you're watching an HD station. You must leave it on 16:9.

From what I've read, it's better to stretch the screen and eliminate the bars so as to reduce the liklihood of burn-in.

So, what to do?? Watch a worse anlog picture and stretch the screen, or watch the better HD picture with the bars? Or (the best solution), is there a way to change the ratio on an HD station?

I understand that this issue is not relevant with primetime programming, but what to do the rest of the time?

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I own the Panasonic 37" version, and no, you can't change the aspect ratio on HD. Just keep the borders on "light" (when watching regular programing) and have the contrast set on low (Cinema) to avoid burn-in. I'll change the aspect ratio from time to time, and don't always keep it on a fixed position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks