Panasonic Plasma TV HELP!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Mick, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Robert Mick

Robert Mick Auditioning

So I've decided as a college graduation present to myself, I'm gonna buy a Panasonic ED 42" plasma, but am having a real hard time figuring out which model I should be getting at the best deal. Here's what I have and will be using with it:

Panasonic HT-700 (HT-in a box with 5 DVD changer)
    Toshiba SD-4109X 6 DVD changer (just mentioning I have it though don't think I'll be using it)
    Toshiba VCR

I don't have cable, but will probably watch some SD broadcast, but will mostly be using the TV for DVD viewing. I'm pretty sure this means that I could just use my VCR wired up to the TV as a broadcast receiver. So do I get a commercial model or not? I'm also aware that I could purchase a cheap stand for the TV on ebay if I don't buy a commerical model? Help me out and let me know anything I'm missing that I'm definitely going to need with any model.

2. Ray O

Ray O Extra

Seeing you have a HTIB already, I would get the 42PWD7UY. You won't need built in speakers that the consumer model has, and the VCR will be your tuner. And you already know you can get a stand on Ebay. I also prefer the black bezel rather than the silver(consumer model).

The 7UY has 3 inputs, you can use the plasma's component input from your HTIB (I assume the receiver/dvd player are in the same unit), and the VCR can be plugged into the S-Video or composite input (you can use either S-Video or composite, but not both at the same time). There is also a VGA input that you can use if you decide to get cable/satellite (you'll need a special component/VGA breakout cable), I use this for my HD STB. HD programming looks great on the Panny ED.

3. Walter Scott

Walter Scott Agent

Im thinking of doing this as well. How does old fashioned analog 4:3 stuff look on the 42PWD7UY?

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Did any of you read this months Sound and Vision?

They said to stay far away from EDTV...useless in today's true HDTV world...plus for a bit more $$ you can get a TRUE HDTV.

I would save your money and get the real thing, and not just get a pseudo "HD" TV.

5. Robert Mick

Robert Mick Auditioning

Alf S-
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? Though I'm startiong to get really excited about buying a 42PWD7UY!

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Not being sarcastic at all..they hate EDTV because it's so sub-par to an true HDTV...read the "Big Screen Bargains" article in this months issue to see for yourself.

ED's only have 480 lines of vertical resolution which is about enough to display a DVD but defenitely NOT enough for HD shows. Minimum they say to get is a HDTV that has 720 lines..which matches the 720p HD format)

I still say..save your money! Get the real thing You'll regret it later IMHO.

Oh and don't forget about the nasty old burn syndrome that Plasma's can be known for...

p.s. If you still insist on going ED only..why not get the Panny TH-42PD25U that has built in "HD" tuner? A little bit more, but a nicer set it seems..

Circuit City TV

Alfer

FYI..ED vs. HDTV article at CNET: HERE

[

7. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

I work in a TV/Audio store and We have a few ED plasma beside HDTV plasmas.. and at 37-42 inches I/Most could not tell the diff from 6 feet or more away. It will display HDTV so you are Futureproof, You can slide in a HDMI card, So you are good to go there... and for the price unless you can see a diff.. Why go HiDef... or unless you have the money to burn.

I picked up at Hitachi CRT RPTV at Cost and sold it to my cousin a few months after I got it, Because a 42pwd7uy is only about $600 more... Plus the cool factor goes way up and the picture looks way better. I will be putting a Panasonic AE700 Projector in front of it for serious movies or a 900 if its out by the time I get around to it...

8. Michael_Martin

Michael_Martin Auditioning

HDTV vs. EDTV can be highly debated and opinionated.

I have seen where an EDTV display can look as good or in some cases even better overall than an HDTV display. If resolution is your only concern than an HDTV display is the way to go. If you are on a budget and your more concerned at this time on contrast ratio and overall image quality for the money then EDTV fits the bill well.

I also agree with the recommendations of the Panasonic 7UY if you decide that EDTV is the way you want to go for now. No reason to pay for a tuner and speakers if you are not going to be using them. And this display has very good image quality for its class and for the money.

-mike

9. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

One difference, that may or may not be of concern, between the consumer and commercial models is warranty service. The consumer models are "in home" service vs "ship/deliver" on the commercial units.

If your main usage is going to be DVD/TV watching, the ED unit is the better bang for the buck...IMO

Mort

10. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Ed all the way, we have a panasonic hd and a ed in the 42 inch and honesly since so much is still standard we like the ed better as regualr programming looks so much better. Yes I can tell a dif on hdtv material but still the ed is great.