What's new

Panasonic Plasma HD doesn't output DD 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Clint_G

Agent
Real Name
Clint
Sorry if this has been addressed or is widely known, I did try to look around for an answer.

Here is my dilemma. I have an HD-DVD add-on for my 360. If I connect it to my TV via HDMI and then have the sound output from the TV to my reciever via optical, I only get Dolby Pro Logic. But of course I get better quality and the add-on will upscale SD.

If I hook my 360 up to my TV via component and have the audio go directly to my reciever still via optical (in fact, I just unplug from the TV and plug it directly into the 360), I get full Dolby Digital 5.1. BUT reduced video quality and no upscale.

I've tried adjusting settings on my TV and reciever, but no avail. I don't understand why this would occur. Is it some copyright crap or something?

Thank you in advance!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The digital out on most (all?) tv's is for the internal tuners. To get 5.1 from any other source requires you to connect that source directly to the AVR.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Did you try hooking it up via HDMI and optical audio? That would be the proper way to get DD 5.1 from the 360. Just because HDMI carries the audio, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Clint_G

Agent
Real Name
Clint
Thank you for the quick reply.

So I guess my understanding of the connection was totally off. I figured you connected with HDMI and then the optical out rerouted the audio signal back to the reciever.

I guess I have to choose one or the other. The connection on the Xbox does not allow you to connect it with HDMI AND an optical out. How frustrating! I do know you can buy (of course!) something from MS that will allow you to output optical to the reciever while outputting HDMI to the TV, but it's close to $60 or so last time I checked. Oh well.

Thanks again.

Clint_G

Agent
Real Name
Clint
Ok I figured it out!

For those in a similar situation, this is awesome!

The problem is that there is a block that plugs into the back of the xbox and this box has the component and digital out. Unfortunately this box BLOCKS the HDMI output. So you can see where you can't have both plugged in. However, if you take the plastic case off this block, you can plug in the block for the optical out AND the HDMI port can be used.

Just did it and I am very satisfied now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks