Panasonic or Kenwood? I can't decide!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RobinN, Jun 14, 2004.

1. RobinN

RobinN Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new sub-$300 receiver. 6.1 and Pro Logic II are the only features I REALLY want. It seems that the Panasonic SA-HE100 and Kenwood VR-806 are both very good values. The latter seems almost too good for the very LOW (under $200) price tag. Also, because of its newness, I have not been able to find any opinions or reveiws of it. The Panasonic seems to be accepted as a decent quality entry-level receiver. Can anyone comment on the quality of either brands' low-priced receivers? I currently own a JVC RX-6000 and am a bit dissapointed with the distortion in the center channel as well as lack of PLII support.

Thanks very much for any reccommendations!

Robin

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried HK?

3. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

well, I have the kenwood vr7080, which is a 300 or 350 receiver. cant remember what i paid, but i am very happy with it. ive got some yamaha speakers attached to it and people are very impressed when I pop in a dvd.

Johnny

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have an entry level Kenwood reciever got a few years ago for $250 (Kenwood VR-407) and has been serving me very well from day one. Wouldn't mind recommending it! [​IMG]

Have you checked out the new digital recievers from Panasonic? The XR-series has been very well recieved, and i believe right around your price range.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Pioneer 912K and 914K. ALso Onkyo 601 and 501.

Mike

6. Tabish

Tabish Extra

I will suggest Panasonic XR50 digital amp, its really good, for your price range I dont think so you can do better than that receiver. Read reviews and other threads about XR50.

7. RobinN

RobinN Auditioning

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. After reading some other posts about the SA-XR50 I ordered it yesterday for $245 shipped. The smaller footprint, lower power consumption and less of a need for ventilation were all appealing. I am concerned about people's posts that analog sources sound sub-par on the unit, but will have to try it out for myself to see. Thanks again for the input!

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The AD conversion on the XR units isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I think it's a case of expecations of a problem because of the extra conversion rather than a real problem. At least that has been my experience with my equipment going into an XR25 including DVD-A & SACD.

DJ

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The AD conversion on the XR units isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I think it's a case of expecations of a problem because of the extra conversion rather than a real problem. At least that has been my experience with my equipment going into an XR25 including DVD-A & SACD.

DJ

10. Tabish

Tabish Extra

if you dont have real high end speakers, you will not even notice a difference, ppl who noticed the difference between digital and analogue are very critical listners and they have very high end speakers. I could not tell the difference though, I have infinity interlude series speakers.

11. Tabish

Tabish Extra

if you dont have real high end speakers, you will not even notice a difference, ppl who noticed the difference between digital and analogue are very critical listners and they have very high end speakers. I could not tell the difference though, I have infinity interlude series speakers.

12. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Just got my XR-50 yesterday. Since December, I have owned a Yamaha HTR-5590 and a Pioneer VSX-41. XR-50 beats them both is sound quality. In credibly crisp. Maybe a very slight amount less power but really cranks. I have never been a fan of Panasonic--until now.

I went from receivers in the $800 range down to less than $250 but all that matters is the end result!

13. DorianBryant

Just got my XR-50 yesterday. Since December, I have owned a Yamaha HTR-5590 and a Pioneer VSX-41. XR-50 beats them both is sound quality. In credibly crisp. Maybe a very slight amount less power but really cranks. I have never been a fan of Panasonic--until now.

I went from receivers in the $800 range down to less than $250 but all that matters is the end result!

14. RobinN

RobinN Auditioning

Well, that's good to know. I only have a crummy set of Sony mini 5.1 speakers, so I doubt I'll hear the difference. Glad everyone has had such good experiences with this receiver!

Robin

15. RobinN

RobinN Auditioning

Well, that's good to know. I only have a crummy set of Sony mini 5.1 speakers, so I doubt I'll hear the difference. Glad everyone has had such good experiences with this receiver!

Robin

16. DorianBryant

Tabish--Surprised you were not able to hear a difference. I use JBL all the way around. Studio's for mains, Northridge series for the rest. I noticed a difference immediately from the Pioneer. The 41 sounds great but it was a cleaner, although brighter sound.

17. DorianBryant

Tabish--Surprised you were not able to hear a difference. I use JBL all the way around. Studio's for mains, Northridge series for the rest. I noticed a difference immediately from the Pioneer. The 41 sounds great but it was a cleaner, although brighter sound.

18. Tabish

Tabish Extra

I was talking about the difference between analog/digital inputs on xr50, I didnt hear any difference between the two, difference between pioneer 811s and Xr50 is day and night.

19. Tabish

Tabish Extra

I was talking about the difference between analog/digital inputs on xr50, I didnt hear any difference between the two, difference between pioneer 811s and Xr50 is day and night.

20. DorianBryant

Didn't read it close enough! [​IMG]