Panasonic LX-1000 Laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    Hello everyone! I just got a Panasonic LX-1000 Laserdisc player from someone second hand. I don’t think he really knew what it was; he sold it to me for $30. Watched James-Bond Goldeneye on it and it works great. It has two sets of Composite-out and analog RCA jacks, as well as one S-Video out and one Optical out.

I’m interested if any of you have opinions/experiences with this unit? Is it a good one? I’m not sure what it is capable of. I know it can read both sides which is nice, but I’m not sure what it can do as far as surround sound goes. It doesn’t have a Dolby RF out jack as far as I can tell… but what is the Toslink jack for then? And why does it have two sets of Composite-out and analog-RCA audio jacks? I have it just hooked up through the analog audio jacks till I go out and get a toslink cable.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yes, it's a good machine. There was a Denon clone of this machine I believe.

4. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

$30 is a steal. These players frequently sell on eBay in the $150 to $200 range. A highend player in its day, about 11 years ago. It's major downfall is no AC-3 capability but it can be converted using a kit that costs around $75.00 (though labor is another $100 if you can't do the conversion yourself, and conversion on this model takes some skill).

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Phil, the Denon LA-3500 was a clone of the LX-900, the LX-1000U's replacement model in 1993. Chris, if it's in good working order you got a major bargain. It's an old player. It was Panasonic's top of the line model from 1990-92. Forget the S-Video output. The comb filter is too ancient to be of much use. Use composite video. I hope the player has some life left in it for you. BTW, I have one too. Best wishes!