What's new

PANASONIC INTRODUCES NEW PT-AE8000U 3D HOME THEATER PROJECTOR WITH ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION FEATURES (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I hate idiot companies who refuse to put the flipping retail price in press releases.
HOW MUCH IS IT?
It sounds like it is going to launch at a stupidly high price point which means given the VERY evolutionary bumps this year you are probably much better served at buying a 7000 now that those have gotten to reasonable prices.
/facepalm

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Confirmed, launching at $3500, with 2 free sets of glasses, woo freaking who. If you need a pj today you are much better off buying a 7000.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic-ae8000_projector_review.htm?page=Conclusion

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I don't know, Sam. I saw the 7000 and 8000 projected next to each other, and the extra brightness was very evident. I currently own a Panasonic PT AE7000, and I have found it to be a very competent projector, but it just didn't seem to have the brightness on my 110 ' screen to adequately view 3D with the impact I would have expected. When viewing the projectors side by side at the display, the difference between the 7000 and 8000 was noticeable enough for me to order the 8000. When I recieve it, I will let you know if the extra 400 lumens makes as much difference as I saw at the display. Now all I have to do when I receive the 8000, is to deliver and set up the 7000 at my daughters house.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Let us know how it is. I hope to get a 3D projector next year. No idea where to start in shopping, but I'll be setup for a 110" screen with a ceiling projector 14' away :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The 8000u remains on my wish list, despite my grumblings about it's list price. Now that they are in the marketplace more reasonable street prices are starting to be the norm and for it's new price point it isn't that much more than it's similarly specced competitors, tho it IS still high.
I just am so torn tho. I want to buy a great projector but I know we are on the cusp of the move to 4k. I remember buying my 900u and being so chuffed that I could get an awesome projector for so much less than what the flat panels were running in those days, and getting an image 4x as big. Today the good PJs can be twice the cost of a great bang for the buck panel and more expensive than an AWESOME one. I guess the problem is my own expectations but that doesn't make it any less frustrating
I do want to thank the PHL folks for their demonstration during the HTF meet. If i could have spent a few more hours their playing with their goodies I definitely would have!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam, do you really want to wait for the 4K projectors to be affordable? That's probably at least a few years away. And when will there be 4K programming out there?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323726/panasonic-introduces-new-pt-ae8000u-3d-home-theater-projector-with-advanced-customization-features#post_4010531
The 8000u remains on my wish list, despite my grumblings about it's list price. Now that they are in the marketplace more reasonable street prices are starting to be the norm and for it's new price point it isn't that much more than it's similarly specced competitors, tho it IS still high.
I just am so torn tho. I want to buy a great projector but I know we are on the cusp of the move to 4k. I remember buying my 900u and being so chuffed that I could get an awesome projector for so much less than what the flat panels were running in those days, and getting an image 4x as big. Today the good PJs can be twice the cost of a great bang for the buck panel and more expensive than an AWESOME one. I guess the problem is my own expectations but that doesn't make it any less frustrating
I do want to thank the PHL folks for their demonstration during the HTF meet. If i could have spent a few more hours their playing with their goodies I definitely would have!
You're not happy with your Panny 65VT50?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Different rooms Crawdaddy! I love my VT50 in the family room, I wish it was larger but it is absolutely brilliant looking. Blacks rock on it, it works great in the daytime with a bit of glare, and out of the box 1 button selection of THX calibrated color couldnt have been easier. In that room there was zero chance of me going FP. Only other con was the price.
In the basement I have total light control and want to have my full field of vision taken up with a movie. FP is the way to go here. 4k content is being produced now and my PC devices already support it. It might be 2013 or 2014 but it will be less than 2 years before the content starts rolling in and having a FP that is ready for that is definitely a goal.
So I'm torn. Buy cheap today (or even just stick with my 720p PJ!) and be ready to jump to 4k when it gets hot, or spend $2500+ and drag my feet on 4k cause I want to get the most out of that PJ's lifetime. Considering options might be better discussed in the thread I have about my theater build rather than stirring things up in the 8000 discussion thread. No doubt the 8000 rocks and I wish I could commit to it today, I just don't know that it is the right choice for me at this time, and that's ok!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/325747/sams-underground-aerie

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam, I'm in nearly the same situation. Hope to do a big screen upgrade next year for the basement...and really unsure what the route will be. The DLP folks talk about bargain basement prices on 90" sets. The forums are buzzing about 4k. And projectors keep getting better, but not really cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks