Panasonic HTIB questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kane_J, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Kane_J

Kane_J Auditioning

My wife has been looking at a HTIB as a holiday family gift. I'm unemployed so the home mortgage takes priority over everything. Anyway, apparently she has been squirreling away a little cash here and there and has amassed $400.00 +. We've been visiting local electronic shops and narrowed it down to 2 brands. Panasonic and Onkyo. I think she really likes the Panasonic SC-HT900 as they have the tallboy stands for the speakers and we can easily move them when not in use. Our TV room is not really setup for a home theater as the TV is cattycorner and the room opens up to the kitchen. We know that we sacrifice sound quality and options with a HTIB but that's the way it has to be until we make the basement into our home theater room and we can afford real equipment. I've always been a NAD fan so someday...

So can someone provide feedback on the Panasonic SC-HT900. Are we missing something or does it appear that as a HTIB it should provide the basics. BTW we have a 36" Mitsubishi TV and DishNetwork. We were going to pass our current DVD to our son as the HTIB has a carrousel DVD player.

Thanks for your time,

Kane

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Kane. Since you're asking for information about a specific model HTiB, I've moved your post here. The Basics area is for asking about essential, beginner-level information as opposed to information on specific makes and models. Best of luck. JB

3. Rajeev Dawar

Rajeev Dawar Agent

Kane,
    I helped a friend with a HTIB purchase recently and under $500.00 (US) this was the best sounding and performing HTIB we found. I think you will be very happy with it.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I personally think that Yamaha HTiB's are a little better over the Panasonics. I found that Panasonic didn't seperate the channels quite as nicely in DPLII as the Yamaha can.

5. Kane_J

Kane_J Auditioning

Yup, that's what I found as well, the Yamaha HTiB look like the best I can get without having to spent $200 more for separates. It did not look like I was going to get something all that great for $700. I've decided on the Yamaha 540. It's a 6 channel system...Yes I know there are not many DVD's out there with 6 channels so guess it's a leap of faith. If 6 channel becomes somewhat popular then great, if not oh well. I found all the Yamaha HTiB system's to be quite capable. The 540 seems to have every thing I want and when on sale it's a good price.

Cheers,

Kane