1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic HTIB questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kane_J, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Kane_J

Kane_J Auditioning

My wife has been looking at a HTIB as a holiday family gift. I'm unemployed so the home mortgage takes priority over everything. Anyway, apparently she has been squirreling away a little cash here and there and has amassed $400.00 +. We've been visiting local electronic shops and narrowed it down to 2 brands. Panasonic and Onkyo. I think she really likes the Panasonic SC-HT900 as they have the tallboy stands for the speakers and we can easily move them when not in use. Our TV room is not really setup for a home theater as the TV is cattycorner and the room opens up to the kitchen. We know that we sacrifice sound quality and options with a HTIB but that's the way it has to be until we make the basement into our home theater room and we can afford real equipment. I've always been a NAD fan so someday...

So can someone provide feedback on the Panasonic SC-HT900. Are we missing something or does it appear that as a HTIB it should provide the basics. BTW we have a 36" Mitsubishi TV and DishNetwork. We were going to pass our current DVD to our son as the HTIB has a carrousel DVD player.

Thanks for your time,

Kane

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Kane. Since you're asking for information about a specific model HTiB, I've moved your post here. The Basics area is for asking about essential, beginner-level information as opposed to information on specific makes and models. Best of luck. JB

3. Rajeev Dawar

Rajeev Dawar Agent

Kane,
    I helped a friend with a HTIB purchase recently and under $500.00 (US) this was the best sounding and performing HTIB we found. I think you will be very happy with it.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I personally think that Yamaha HTiB's are a little better over the Panasonics. I found that Panasonic didn't seperate the channels quite as nicely in DPLII as the Yamaha can.

5. Kane_J

Kane_J Auditioning

Yup, that's what I found as well, the Yamaha HTiB look like the best I can get without having to spent $200 more for separates. It did not look like I was going to get something all that great for $700. I've decided on the Yamaha 540. It's a 6 channel system...Yes I know there are not many DVD's out there with 6 channels so guess it's a leap of faith. If 6 channel becomes somewhat popular then great, if not oh well. I found all the Yamaha HTiB system's to be quite capable. The 540 seems to have every thing I want and when on sale it's a good price.

Cheers,

Kane