Panasonic He-100 and Pioneer 811s Comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanSinclaire, Aug 7, 2002.

1. RyanSinclaire

RyanSinclaire Auditioning

I've got a couple questions on these receivers. I have looked through other threads, but have not found what I'm looking for. Ok, lets say that the Panasonic DOESN'T have support for DD EX. Will DD EX tracks still work, but the sound will just be 5.1? or will you only get a pro-logic track from the movie.

The Pioneer has DTS-ES (discrete). What does the discrete mean?

Finally, which one do you like better? Or can you not go wrong with either one when you CAN'T spend more than $300.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Ryan

The HE100 dose do EX. It's not listed because of Dolby rights issues or something. It's been posted at AVS that it defintly dose do DD-EX

Both are good buys and the Pioneer has an edge for information on the units themselves as many more are out their running already. The S&V testing of the 100 showed it to be an excellent entry receiver. Good power, low noise and much more bandwith (posted at AVS) than the Pioneer for video pass threw. HD is said to be excellent on it's pass threw..

Discrete, meaning it's own channel. Not matrixed from other channels.

Go listen to both and make a buy based on what you here and like. The Panasonic 100 and 200 are jut too new and little actual USER info is available on them currently.

The HE200 in Black or Silver can be had currently for 348.00 and 19.00 shipping. A major step up from the HE100.
    MSRP is 999.99 for the HE200

Email me and I give you the info...

Regards
    Geoff

3. RyanSinclaire

RyanSinclaire Auditioning

Thanks for the info, and while the HE-200 sounds like a real good deal, I'm set on the $300 price. (I've done it before when I go above that, and it seems as soon as you go up a price level, someone suggests that for "just a little more you can get" and it doesn't seem to stop.) For my needs, the $300 receiver is perfect.

I do have one more question. Lets say I hook a DVD player up to the receiver through component cables, and a PS2 with S-video cables. Now, from my receiver to my tv I only run component cables. Will the Ps2 still post video? (I know the quality will have to stay s-video, but will it still work?) This pertains to both of the receivers in question.

4. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Matt
    You have mail! [​IMG]
    Geoff

6. Matt Abel

Matt Abel Auditioning

Geoff, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where I can find a shot of the back of this thing. Does it have binding posts on all channels or are there spring clips like on the HE100?

-Matt

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Matt

Go to the place I told you! There is a shot of the rear and muchoo information on everything it dose!

Also, YES heavy duty binding posts NO spring clips....

If you do a search for the Panasonic 200 (here in this section) a long thread dealing with it will come up. I posted a direct link to a number of things their. Including press releases, and a link to the place I sent you today. It will provide you with a nice pic of the rear, front in Black or Silver mirror, remote, and lots of information dealing with the receiver and what it can do and how it all works!

Very informative.....

Regards
    Geoff

Edit: The rear mounted fan runs all the time, (not temp regulated, or volume regulated) but is said to be quiet and not at all loud from the 2 people that have responded to this question. One owns the 100 and the other the 200. Both are extremly happy to this point with their purchases....

8. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I dont know about panasonic you mentioned, but my pioneer 811s is pretty good, just go to some store who carries both and audition them with the same speakers. I think you will hav the idea which one you like.