Panasonic HDTV not recognizing Xbox 360 signal

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DanHal, Jan 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Well, Happy New Year all. I wish I could have some better news, but I've been having some issues with my Panasonic 27" HDTV and my spanking new Xbox 360. I have the high definition cables hooked up to the component input on the rear of the television and the selector switched to "HDTV."

It seems rather lately that I'll turn the 360 on, and the television will simply stay at a blank screen saying "component." It would seem like the television is not recieving a signal from the 360. I have the output on the 360 set at 1080i. If I reset the 360 a few times, it almost always eventually displays the usual 360 logo and proceeds to load the game. I know the 360 is still working even if no picture is coming up as I can hear the disk spinning and the light is green. I don't have another HDTV to test this on, so I was just wondering if any of you could offer some advice on my situation.

Is this a hardware issue, ie, Xbox 360? Or is this a television issue, ie, Panasonic?

Thank you for anyone who spends some time helping me out!

Daniel

2. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Anyone come up with any suggestions? I've been fiddling around with it for awhile now, with no result.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

The first thing that comes to mind is to check to make sure the 360 is functioning. Can you temporarily connect it to another (non HD) set to see if it's giving you a picture and sound at the lower resolutions? If that isn't the problem, then the next thing I'd suspect is your cable. Maybe something about it (the HD/SD switch? or one of the leads) is faulty. Tough to tell over the internet, but that's at least a start.

On the TV side, I assume that the set has worked in component mode before with an HD signal? If you have never seen an HD signal on this TV then it might be the settings on the TV, or perhaps the TV itself.

From your first message I'm not sure that the 360/TV combination worked for a while and then stopped functioning or whether it never worked properly at all. If you are saying and resetting the 360 several times results in the 360 logo showing up on the TV then it would appear that the problem lies with some part of the 360, not with the display. Also, have you tried looking over the troubleshooting FAQs at the xbox360 sight to see if others are having the same problem?

Good luck. I feel your pain.

4. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

Thanks for your post!

I've tried the Xbox on another non-HD set with no issues whatsoever. I had picture and sound both on the first powerup of the console.

Its weird though, because it happens somewhat randomly. I'll hit the power button, the conosole will power up, but the TV will just keep a blank screen saying component. I've used the component input for my HD Cable Box with no issues, so I'm leaning toward a hardware issue or cable issue as you mentioned.

The Xbox line wasn't much help, so I guess I'll be sending it in under warranty. I've been getting an Error code as well sometimes when I boot the system, E74, so perhaps that is part of the problem.

I'll cross my fingers.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Yes, I think you are on the right track. If it's working with a non-HD set then either the cable or the XBox itself is causing the problem. I'd like to think (hope) it's just the cable (maybe something as simple as the HD/SD switch on the Component cable) but you obviously can't rule out the box itself. Too bad you can't borrow a cable from a friend with an XBox360, or can you? That would narrow it down.

Hope this resolves itself quickly for you. Lots of gaming out there!

6. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Ah, none of my friends have been able to get theirs yet. Their Gamestop pre-orders are a little slow. I guess I'll never be pre-ordering from Gamestop after all this. I didn't even reserve mine anywhere, and I had it sooner than them. Well, I guess I did endure 14 hours in below freezing temperatures to get one, but it was an experience. I'll have to do some more fiddling with the cables, and see if I can swap them out to any avail.

Otherwise, it's off to Microsoft for warranty. This is the one time though I am glad I purchased Best Buy's evil two year warranty.

Thanks again!

7. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Have you tried plugging another source into that component slot on the tv to see if you get a picture?

If any of youre friends has an HDTV try bringing it to their place and hooking it up.

8. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Ahh, if only I had another component input on my televison. Panasonic wasn't smart enough to include more than one, or maybe I wasn't smart enough to think about that before I bought it.

It's been improving, but it still happens ocasionally. We'll just have to see. . .